• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

New low - But funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddieHibbard

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
I had a customer complain because my shirt wasn't tucked in, lol. He called the lender and reported me for having my shirt untucked. I am a burly man, and had been sporting a beard for the last 3 months and noone complained, but I shaved my face and look a little less intimidating and someone complains. I'm growing my beard back, lol. I forgot to ask the borrower if his occupation was Fashion Police Officer.

Hope you find this as funny as I do.

Ed

Sid Pachter

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Florida
Looking professional is important no matter your physical attributes or weather circumstances at time of inspection. Right or wrong, in our society great emphasis is placed on the appearance of others and sometimes unfortunately we base an opinion about that person based upon appearance as opposed to getting to know the individual. However in a position where you come in contact with all types of people, looking your best sets the tone. You may be the best appraiser in the world, but if you look unkept (not saying your are) the property owner may not have confidence in your ability and may be quesioning the level of professionalism of the client that sent you. It's all about your own perception of yourself. I'm in the business and two years ago when I refinanced my home the appriaiser that was sent to my home was wearing a t-shirt, dirty jeans, shirt untucked and old worn tennis shoes. Now I didn't expect him to wear a tuxedo, but a collared short sleeve shirt and clean pants and decent shoes is not asking too much. The perception of your self and how professional you want to be will be noticed by the public. Next time tuck in your shirt!

EddieHibbard

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
It's odd that you say that. I dress in Khaki/dress casual pants, and typically a button up shirt or our golf shirt with the company logo on it. I wear my shirt untucked, still ironed and crisp looking, I prefer untucked. In all honesty, I'm not going to tuck my shirt in to crawl into your attic or crawlspace, who wears a suit to do this?

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Khakis and golf shirt is fine. In this business when we are bending, squatting, and shuffling through bushes to do an inspection, I can understand an untucked shirt. Not my preference, I feel sloppy when untucked, but that would not be a deal breaker to me.

Sid, I agree with you on the blue jeans, tee shirt, and nasty tennis shoes. Seems every time I sell a house, I'm there in my business casual (khakis or non-wrinkle slacks and a collard shirt) to meet some guy with wiry hair in a pony tail, faded blue jeans, maybe a decent shirt but usually not, and muddy tennis shoes. They usually know that I'm an appraiser too... and we couldn't appear more different. I know that residential appraising has become more "blue collar" work over the years, but come on... how low do you want to go? I'm glad that my buyers never see them looking like that, because I'd be embarrassed to be considered a peer!

EddieHibbard

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
Yeah, if I'm going to a real nice neighborhood I'll tuck when necessary, however, inspecting crawlspaces and attics in a 30K investment property is not my thing.

Suz-E

Professional Status
State
Illinois
This is nuts. Good grief, some people have body type's that don't "allow" them to "tuck" even if they wanted to!!!

Oi!!

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
This is nuts. Good grief, some people have body type's that don't "allow" them to "tuck" even if they wanted to!!!

Oi!!

I resemble that remark !

Doug Meyer

Professional Status
State
Indiana
Eddie and I both have body types that makes tucking hard to do!!! :rof: :rof: Sorry Eddie!!! :blush:

EddieHibbard

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
lol, I'm OK with that. I have nice curves.

Doug Meyer

Professional Status
State
Indiana
Thats a good one Eddie!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks