• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

New One For Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I had a fax on my machine last night from a local mortgage company. They want me to do a final on a VC condition for an FHA appraisal I did not complete. They sent me the VIC sheet stating the carpet was a health hazard and needed replacement. They want me to go inspect for the new carpet. Is this legal? What kind of trouble could it be for me? It seems like a simple assignment with no other VIC conditions. It seems the underwriter would want the original appraiser. The note on the loan officers fax said the appraiser was from the other side of Dallas and did not have time to do this final anytime soon. Opinions, please!

Chris Harrison

Professional Status
State
Utah
Tim,
Personally I would want a copy of the complete appraisal. I believe you can do a final for another appraiser under the rules but must explain why it's not being inspected by the original appraiser.

It sounds like the loan officer may be trying to get a final without contacting the original appraiser??? Maybe there's a unpaid invoice problem? Why don't you contact the original appraiser and ask him/her about the conditions? What's with the "health hazard" carpet? I would want to know exactly what was in the appraisers mind for making such a comment!! This would not be a standard final inspection fee in my book!

Good Luck

Chris

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Tim:

In regards to needing the whole appraisal, you are not on the hook for the previous appraisal. For some reason the original appraiser is not available to do the final, so all you are doing is the CIR. What you need is a copy of the VC summary sheet. If you are concerned, call HUD/REACT at 1-888-245-4860 and ask them. Then you can document that "Marty" said such and so.

Roger

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
I have also been 'told' that a VC completion is not a "final inspection" in the sense of a typical appraisal, as you are merely commenting on completion or lack of completion of a or a series of specific repair items.... Avoid all mention of vlaue or any other comments, and whatever you do dont go looking around :blink: .

I do not beleive for VC item completion service one must have access to the complete file as in 'standard' 442 final inspection service. I do beleive that one must have the complete VC sheet set.

HOWEVER that said: I would get the word direct from HUD and take name number and time of day for MY records on this matter.

Do post your finindings from HUD, though as HOC centers (and even within centers :eyecrazy: ) are varying in thier response to some questions!

Chris Harrison

Professional Status
State
Utah
Lee Ann & Roger....

I respectfully disagree!

Please go to the form and read the Certification you are signing!

"I certify that I have carefully inspected this property on this date. I have no personal interest, present or prospective, applicant, or proceeds of the mortgage. To the best of my knowledge I have reported all noncompliance, work required correction, and unacceptable work."

If you think Joe Doe at HUD telling you that its ok will override this written statement you are sadly mistaken.

Chris

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Chris:

I certify I have carefully inspected this property on this date
"...with respect to the specified items indicated below..." can be added as explanation in the same manner and pargraph in which one explains that the singator is not in fact the original appraiser who signed the original report... There is specific provision for such commentary and a too narrow reading of the "rooles" can lead one into just as much trouble as a reading with the view set too broad.

Reasonableness, scope

:p there's that darn word again.... :p

and most importantly some named "someone" from HUD's specific directive as to how to perform the act requested, should cover the bases.

I mean come ON man we are talking "carpet replacement" fer Pete's sake...

didn't somebody already say this ain't brain surgury.... :rolleyes:

Chris Harrison

Professional Status
State
Utah
Lee Ann

Where on the required HUD form 92051 (7/87) do you find "...with respect to the specified items indicated below..."

Are you suggesting that an addendum be added? An addendum that could be detached by the loan officer prior to submission?

Please direct me to the place on the "form" that allows for inspecting only items on VC faxed by loan officer....."Scope of assignment". Are you going to include the limited scope identification page? Remember this is a HUD required form not the standard 442 that has room for comments.

Chris

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Chris:

in the itty bitty boxes on the bottom of the form... where if they want me to inspect things that I don't have a clue about I put the words "by others" for things like engineer requirements and such... and where IF i cannot explain what didn't get done :rolleyes: I refer to an addendum...

and do like I have done on the Homebuyers Addendum ... always in ALL CAPS

"DO NOT ACCEPT THIS FORM WITHOUT THE ATTACHED 1 PAGE ADDENDUM..."

I refuse to accept the whole world is out to get me... while accepting that a certain portion of it is....

All ya gotta do is figure out which end bites and which end messes and take care to stay way from both 'ends'. I can pat a client on the top of the head without getting bit, and accept a little love in return. $$$ and even help someone out when it seems otherwise reasonable... scope scope scope...

Ummm I'd best quit that dog analogy... before I wind up describing clients in less than socially acceptable terms :eek:

Chris Harrison

Professional Status
State
Utah
Lee Ann,

Here’s were the problem is for me...

The original appraiser identified a “health hazard” in the carpets. Was that mold, meth, animal feces, flee infestation, ???? Dose it require carpet and pad?

I’m less concerned about the lender, loan officer or FHA than the home owner. Most claims on E&O are by the home owner and their attorney which will look at all the deep pockets. It’s one of the reasons that I stopped doing FHA two years ago. Despite all the disclaimers that an FHA appraiser is not doing a “home inspection” the forms required by HUD indicate a “scope of inspection”. Consistency in reporting is the key. You can not say in an unsigned addendum that you only looked at the living room carpet and sign a certification that states “I certify that I have carefully inspected this property on this date........To the best of my knowledge I have reported all noncompliance, work required correction, and unacceptable work” without more than a 4 page form that only identifies the subject by reference to an FHA case number. You have no reference to know who did the original report, when it was inspected, if it’s a purchase, streamline, rehabilitation or anything.

There is such a thing as due diligence!

Chris

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Originally posted by "Chris"
The original appraiser identified a “health hazard” in the carpets. Was that mold, meth, animal feces, flea(sic) infestation, ???? Does it require carpet and pad?

I’m less concerned about the lender, loan officer or FHA than the home owner. Most claims on E&O are by the home owner and their attorney which will look at all the deep pockets.

EXCELLENT point(s) and the first was one about which I had not given any thought... Mine was a regradeing issue, no entry into home was required...

hmmmm.

I supose requiring further disclosure as to reason/rationale would be minimum requirements...

and this just might be one from which to runnnnn. Sigh.. even when you are trying to be a nice guy ... things DO happen..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks