• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

New To Forums.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedflanders

Sophomore Member
Hi everyone! I am new to the appraisal business and found this site to be full of useful information. I am a dislocated Systems Administrator who has changed careers. Yes, I have read all of the posts about why you shouldnt become an appraiser. Didnt scare me off. I am a hard worker, detail oriented, organized, comitted, love working with numbers and have a construction background. I read that I should make about 20k first year, that is fine, it will be an 8k raise from unemployment. Even though it is 1/3 of what I was making in my previous job. I finished my appraisal classes, passed my state exam and have a mentor who is going to sign off for me. I have 4 companies that "said" they will give me work, plus my mentor will throw some work my way. All I can do is work hard, listen, learn and with a few breaks I should be alright. Time will tell.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Welcome to the insanity known as appraising. Glad to have you joining in the fun here at the forum. You'' never lack for help, advise, and some off-the-wall jokes and comments.

And good luck with your new career.

Roger

Larry Lyke

Welcome, tedflandes ~

You'll do just fine. You're already over the biggest hurdle -- attitude.

And once you'd overcome the doom-'n-gloom scenarios of being an entrepreneur.

All the breaks you get from now on are of your own choosing (?making?) -- mostly.

Unless you believe in fate, like I do.

Looking back, fate can just be another word for, like you say, working hard, paying attention and enjoying every moment I'm here.

Best o'future.

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Welcome Ted. You have a good attitude. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. Just keep plugging away and keep your eyes on the prize. :D

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Ted

Not sure where you live and work in Minnesota but if it is anywhere near 'does bachelor Norwegian farmers or purddy close to da huntin camp', learn the following phrase for your appraisals:

LOW DENSITY RURAL MARKET

It explains a lot and really helps.

And a very good welcome to you.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Hi Ted, welcome to the forum.

sam strahan

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
go for it. i went for it 2 years ago, and my license is on the way. good luck!

Bob Stainbrook

Sophomore Member
Welcome Ted,
I am also new to this forum ( 1/1/2003 ) If you take anything from this forum ( everyone is great by the way ) take what ever Mike Garrett says to heart !! He knows what this business is about and will tell you what you you need to know, whether you like it or not. He shows up on not just on this forum, but defends us ( tooth & nail ) in the mortgage brokers forum also. Before I die I will buy him and his wife dinner at the resturant of their choice ( cont. US only = nice try Mike ).

Bob Stainbrook

tedflanders

Sophomore Member
Thanks everyone. I do my first appraisal tomorrow, by myself. I have enjoyed the training thus far. So far, so good!

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Bob..thank you for the kind words but I certainly don't know it all and have been known to be outside the box sometimes. Guys like Ipock and Frank G are more apt to give you the straight poop. Sorry, but you have me mixed up with someone else on the mortgage board....haven't posted there in months.

In any event...I have been in this business for more than 23+ years and have survived rather well. Never been in court except as a witness, never been removed from anyone's approved list (except at my request), and have only had one known complaint with the state board. That was the result of someone complaining we didn't value their home high enough for them to get a 2nd to pay off their credit card debt.

As long as a new appraiser takes this business seriously and follows the rules he or she should do ok. It isn't a get rich quick scheme but rather a nice steady job where you can someday call your own shots. I wish you well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks