• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

New Year, New Fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I use Mercury Network and have had decent success with one off clients and regularly returning clients. Many of my clients on there either pay the tech fee ($14.50/accepted assignment) or pay well above my posted fee that the tech fee is more than covered.

That being said, the announcement from AXIS AMC last month (a client I do some work with) about not paying the portal fee anymore made me really think about my business and fees going into 2018. With other clients/lenders requiring these portals and the tech fees, I decided to increase my Merc fee for 2018 by $25 for non complex 1004's and 1073's. We'll see what happens

Here's to a prosperous 2018! :beer:

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Fees need to increase across the board to keep up with inflation. They have barely budged in W years. XYZ is a good client to me, but other clients pay quite a bit better these days. I'm trying to help you catch up to reality. :)

I guess I could polish my pitch, but if it works, don't fix it I have heard. :peace:

Vermonter

Professional Status
State
Vermont
Starting the new year off with a fee increase has worked for me. $25 across the board. Some balk, some stop ordering (for a little while), but usually by the spring rush everybody is fine with it. You would think it would be best to coincide with a busier period, however from past experience I've learned getting the fee increase out there before the rush seems to have better acceptance...from my clients anyway. YMMV.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
You would think it would be best to coincide with a busier period, however from past experience I've learned getting the fee increase out there before the rush seems to have better acceptance
I'm sort of hoping for similar results. It definitely is a gamble, as with any fee increase in any business, but I agree (and was a similar thought I had) that better now than when things are busier.

norapp

Professional Status
State
New York
I raised my fees last years by $50. Lost some clients but gained some new ones who have no problem with the fee. It's a wash. My biggest loss was Servicelink but that was due to a merger and change in managers. New manager just stopped sending me work as soon as she took over with the exception of a few scattered very complex jobs that obviously no one wanted. I tried several times over the year to speak with the new manager but she refused to take my calls. Did not answer any emails either. Before this change they were one of my biggest clients and I had a good relationship with the old manager. Several months ago I started getting repeat emails telling me I needed to pay for a background check. My response was you must be joking. You give me no work and won't even speak to me but I should pay for a background check after working for you for years. Never heard from them again. Lesson is, you lose some and you win some. Set your fee and stick to it. Only when I am extremely slow will I maybe take a cut on an easy job. I am sure you are worth more. So am I but sadly this is our profession.

fritzvogel

Professional Status
State
New York
If your area has had a cost of living increase, or Real Estate is booming, it would make total sense. Then how about loosing competition to attrition?
I will however increase to all who want me to pay a Portal Fee or Delivery Fee, and the AMC's with the Better than Sliced Bread Idea that you have to change
from Chrome to Explorer or any other "Change" you have to make to your normal business. If they promise 80% of my volume at full fee, I might make a change,
but for an unknown, they want you to change, discount your fee and pay for a delivery portal, come on. I'd like to just price them out of the market. AMC's that profit
on charging "Delivery Fees". that's real greed.

chad hampton

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Back when appraising was a free market, raising/lowering fees was a fairly easy business practice. There hasn't been much business aspect to appraising in many years.

Rocky777

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I raised my fees last years by $50. Lost some clients but gained some new ones who have no problem with the fee. It's a wash. My biggest loss was Servicelink but that was due to a merger and change in managers. New manager just stopped sending me work as soon as she took over with the exception of a few scattered very complex jobs that obviously no one wanted. I tried several times over the year to speak with the new manager but she refused to take my calls. Did not answer any emails either. Before this change they were one of my biggest clients and I had a good relationship with the old manager. Several months ago I started getting repeat emails telling me I needed to pay for a background check. My response was you must be joking. You give me no work and won't even speak to me but I should pay for a background check after working for you for years. Never heard from them again. Lesson is, you lose some and you win some. Set your fee and stick to it. Only when I am extremely slow will I maybe take a cut on an easy job. I am sure you are worth more. So am I but sadly this is our profession.

Your story sound eerily similar, Got a new she manager and life became a pain in the ***. I stuck it out for 6 months and now their is a new manager who is much nicer. The turnover in their office must be huge.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
The turnover in their office must be huge.
:rof: YUP!!! :dancefool:
I know they just had a few lay offs (from personal contacts there) in the last few days (less than a week)

Hopefully that didn't affect either of you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks