• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Newby or screwed me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Charles,

This is not enough information to be able to form an opinion. I would have to hear form Mr. Cain's side also. Kind of like a divorce - there's his side; her side; and the truth somewhere in the middle?

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I see that this is your very first post here, and on your first post you are making accusations against another appraiser and not only that you are naming the appraiser.

You are leaving yourself wide open for liability by posting something against an appraiser in an open forum like this.

I suggest you consult an attorney and have them check your employment contract.

Posting here about it will not help your case when you are naming the specific person. I suggest you edit your post and take the appraiser's name and the firm name out. More people might be willing to offer general advice then.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Yes, it is intemperate to name names which could come back to haunt you. But, in my opinion, yes it is the norm to get the shaft in this profession. Indeed it says a lot about the lack of professionalism in the industry. That is why there are so few trainees being trained thoroughly and the high rate of trained appraisers who fail to get the requisite hours of experience or who simply drop out of the business.

I know of 2 women who were groped by their supervisors - heard that from the women themselves. One of those told of several other women working for the same guy who got the same treatment. I suspect there are a whole heckofalot more who are too embaressed to admit such. I know of at least 6 or 7 appraisers who quit over fee splits that favored the supervisory appraiser, usually one of those "you did not do it the way I wanted so I am taking all the fee for my effort to fix your problem" Screwing someone out of money they might need to live on (and trainees are ALWAYS underpaid compared to the real world) is a great way to impress your buddies. Pay them, then fire them if they are not working out, but don't NOT pay them for what they have done. Amazingly, I have even heard appraisers trying to justify cheating the hired help, either by saying that was the way they were treated "paying their dues" or that the trainee should have known better than do [whatever.] I find an incredible number of appraisers who seem to fear the trainees as future competition. Anytime I cannot outcompete some wet behind the ears appraiser then I want to retire. They might poach some of the lesser clients, and they might not. But if you are truly taking care of business your regular customers are not going to jump ship over a small fee cut or slightly quicker turnaround.
Appraisers don't have to worry about AVMs putting us out of business, we are doing a dandy job of doing ourselves in without any help.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
We have heard from the screwee now lets hear the screwer's side of the story.

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
2 sides to a story & YES we are degrading our own profession. Think it's bad now wait till there is a slow down in the market. OH the gloves will come off in many of the HUNGRY locations I would not want to be low man on a Totem pole that HAS to WORK. My biggest WORRY is that SOME will be turning in the SMALLEST of ERRORS to the boards TYING them up so bad they won't be able to CLEAN out the TRULY BAD APPLES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks