• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Newly Certified & Wanting To Go Out On My own

Del Toro

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Texas
I have been a trainee in Texas for 3 years and have recently passed my certification exam. Will panels/AMCs sign up a newly certified residential appraiser or do they require a certain amount of experience?

EddieB

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
There was a time that most AMCs required either 3-5 years after the CR but that may be different now. Your best bet is to call and ask them.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
First off, congrats on passing your CR. That's something

Second though ... Why are you so anxious to leave your current employer? Were they that bad to work with/for?

Third, as Eddie says above, AMCs are a big factor and each have their own protocols, so reach out to them and ask their criteria. It's probably going to take some time, but only they can answer that question

CGgonnabee

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia

Second though ... Why are you so anxious to leave your current employer? Were they that bad to work with/for?

Third, as Eddie says above, AMCs are a big factor and each have their own protocols, so reach out to them and ask their criteria. It's probably going to take some time, but only they can answer that question
Good food for thought. The immediate separation (usually rapid and without notice) of trainees from their mentors (typically upon licensure/certification) is why it's hard for those wanting to enter the profession to find supervisors. Think about it before you burn your bridge.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Very good point, CG (y)

I stayed with my old boss and his firm a total of about 6 yrs before going out on my own. That was during the crash. I probably would have stayed longer if it wasn't for the crash. But he had to close up the actual office and we all dispersed to our homes. But even then I stayed with the firm. I felt he had given me 2+ yrs, the minimum I was going to do was give him 2+ back.

Toward the end it just made sense for me to open up my own shop though. No hard feelings on either side. We had a nice talk about it and he was happy to see me go on my own. We still keep in touch and talk to this day ... 6+ yrs later.
Think about it before you burn your bridge.
Just think it's worth repeating :clapping: (y)

Del Toro

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Texas

Thanks for the reply. I’ve recently learned of some questionable behavior by my current employer & I want nothing to do with it. I think it’s imperative that I get out.

Del Toro

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Texas
Good food for thought. The immediate separation (usually rapid and without notice) of trainees from their mentors (typically upon licensure/certification) is why it's hard for those wanting to enter the profession to find supervisors. Think about it before you burn your bridge.
I know. It was very hard for me to get into the business for that very reason. I had every intention of staying for at least 5 years until some recent, significant things have come to light.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Now that you have a CR you are more marketable to other fee shops but getting work on your own could be hard to do as most require 3-5 years of experience AFTER you have gotten that CR. Contrary to what AMCs say, there is no shortage of appraisers; if there was they would be hiring anyone with a license.

It is my personal belief that most appraisers training now don't train correctly as the economics does not work. How do you train someone with the fees AMCs are offering. Even with direct lenders the fees are still what they were a decade or more ago. Therefore I think that a lot of appraisers have been trained very badly but they don't know it.

Right now you are working for a split fee but you don't like some of the ethics of your mentor. Go find another office that has multiple appraisers and talk to them about split-fee work and see if they will hire you and see if you can learn more from a new "mentor" and maybe pick up on some things you might have been taught wrong or reassure yourself that you were taught correctly.

Good luck.

Del Toro

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Texas
Now that you have a CR you are more marketable to other fee shops but getting work on your own could be hard to do as most require 3-5 years of experience AFTER you have gotten that CR. Contrary to what AMCs say, there is no shortage of appraisers; if there was they would be hiring anyone with a license.

It is my personal belief that most appraisers training now don't train correctly as the economics does not work. How do you train someone with the fees AMCs are offering. Even with direct lenders the fees are still what they were a decade or more ago. Therefore I think that a lot of appraisers have been trained very badly but they don't know it.

Right now you are working for a split fee but you don't like some of the ethics of your mentor. Go find another office that has multiple appraisers and talk to them about split-fee work and see if they will hire you and see if you can learn more from a new "mentor" and maybe pick up on some things you might have been taught wrong or reassure yourself that you were taught correctly.

Good luck.
Sound advice. Thank you.

OP2008

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
Another option to consider in order to get yourself out of that situation would be as a Review Appraiser or Staff Appraiser for one of the local banks/ credit unions/ AMC.s or Fannie/ Freddie... it could give you two years of valuable insight & experience for your own reports in the future.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks