• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Next NCAB Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Tuesday, March 18 (& 19 if 2nd day is needed)

NCAB
5830 Six Forks Road
Raleigh, NC 27609

There will be no April meeting. The board has cut back to 8 meetings per year (reduced from 10 which was previously reduced from 12). When you are 2 years behind on investigations and hearings it makes perfect sense to have fewer meetings to help catch up.

There is no April meeting so the NCAB can pack up and head to San Francisco for twice a year AARO Lovefest.

Many state appraisal boards seem to share the motto "Never too broke for the AARO Lovefest".

Last edited:

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
This is my first opportunity to get to one of the meetings. When one enters the board's building from the parking lot, where does one go to get to the meeting? Are there signs?

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
The elevator is on the ground level off of the rear parking lot. There is also an entrance on the front from the street.

I have not received the agenda yet so I don't know if there are any hearings on deck.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Agenda came today.

3 hearings to be held....only one is a complaint hearing. The other two must be applicants who were turned down and they are having a hearing to try and get their applications approved and be allowed to sit for the exam.

The complaint case is 2006-211 which means it was complaint # 211 from 2006.

The other two are 2008-0003 and 2008-0006 which again indicates something other than a complaint.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I've been in the building once before, but was looking for help on where to go in the building. I suppose I can just ask once I'm there. LOL

2006? Gee there sure are getting to these quick.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Good Experience

The meeting was very interesting. Although the business conducted was very similar to Florida, North Carolina certainly uses very different methods. The fundamental difference is the formal hearings used during NC board meetings. That is a separate process in FL. Only informal hearings occur during board meetings in FL. Other major differences are having the comment period very early in the agenda rather than last, and far less detail provide to those in attendance about what is occurring. Given that only two other people were present who were not part of the formal agenda, I can see where keeping those in attendance informed is not a high priority. No need to prepare to inform people if people generally don't take the time to attend.

You will all be happy to know the former appraiser who was convicted of cocaine distribution will continue to be only a former appraiser. He didn't have much of a chance given his character witness (his sister) unknowingly exposed the fact he had just lied to the board in his testimony. :rof:

The guy who had a couple of DWI convictions more than 5 years ago, was convicted of having weed and giving a drink to someone under 21 while he was in college at App. St. is going to be looking for a supervisor in Ashville. He will make someone an excellent trainee, IMHO.

The guy who was to have a hearing on a complaint had the hearing postponed. His son was admitted to the hospital through the emergency room the night before the meeting. Certainly reasonable to postpone in that instance.

There will be a hearing in May for a guy who has been postponed multiple times. The only way his hearing will not be held at that time will be if he is dead.

It was noted during the meeting that only 6 cases more than a year old currently exist, and that the number of complaints continues its downward trend. Particularly they are seeing fewer complaints involving trainee/supervisor issues. Likely it is a function of the required class.

There was discussion about the NCAB web site, and how work is progressing on making it better. As well as references to a better financing deal on the building that Bob loves so much. (joking for those that don't know) They will need the better deal since the number of appraisers is likely to be shrinking significantly by the middle of 2009.

They are working on updating the Trainee exam, which has many outdated questions at this time. It was also noted that the current method of administration for the new national, AQB Certified General exam is done in a straight 8 hour marathon with no breaks! Some seem to be of the opinion this is not a good practice. :rof:

(I get it now. When one of the two choices on the elevator is "Boardroom" there is not much point in directions to the meeting.)

Last edited:

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
It was noted during the meeting that only 6 cases more than a year old currently exist, and that the number of complaints continues its downward trend. Particularly they are seeing fewer complaints involving trainee/supervisor issues. Likely it is a function of the required class.

They have been signing consent orders left and right to get the numbers down. This will no doubt be a national trend. Getting rid of the old cases is simply the result of too many guilty appraisers being offered (and accepting) consent orders. Consent orders in NC are hammered out behind closed doors and the public never will be privy to all of the details.

Per the NCAB 2007 Disciplinary report 187 pending cases at the end of November. That included 26 cases pending a hearing.

Complaints are down? What a surprise. Anonymous complaints are no longer accepted and many appraisers have told me they will no longer file any complaints for many different reasons. I doubt that I would ever file a complaint again with the NCAB. It is pretty much a waste of time and effort from my experience.

Hope you were impressed with the Taj Mahal of appraisal board buildings. One hell of a building in light of how few people will ever see the inside of it. The two people in attendance would be the norm. The NCAB has succeeded in creating a wall of fear between them and appraisers. Few appraisers are interested in getting on their radar by attending meetings.

The Supervisor class is good and I would hope that every appraiser would take it.....even if they never intend to have a trainee.

You will not have to wait until 2009 to see the ranks of appraisers contracting. I predict a significant drop this June (06/30/2008) when everyone has to renew (especially trainees that have never found a supervisor). Then in 2009 when 28 hours of CE is required to renew....you are on the monet....there will be many folks dropping out. $200.00 to renew.
($240.00 if you are on the ASC list) and from $400.00 to $600.00 in CE costs will be too much for some who are not working full time and making a living as an appraiser. Most CE will cost $20.00 per hour or more.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
USPAP Compliant said:
They have been signing consent orders left and right to get the numbers down. This will no doubt be a national trend. Getting rid of the old cases is simply the result of too many guilty appraisers being offered (and accepting) consent orders. Consent orders in NC are hammered out behind closed doors and the public never will be privy to all of the details.
I believe the number of consent orders approved was well over thirty, but there were a few that were pulled do to insufficient punishment in the view of the board. Much like a plea bargain in a criminal court case, a consent order is often the most practical method of handling a case when the person admits guilt. For most consent orders the details are listed in the newsletter.

Where I strongly agree with you are the cases of "voluntary surrender." That is where no details are ever given. I find that totally unacceptable. Voluntary surrender should never be accepted without an admission of guilt, and publication of the details of the case when there is a pending complaint.

Although it is a fairly nice building, it has a major flaw IMHO. The traffic noise in the boardroom could have been greatly reduced with a slightly different design. The discussion of the financing changes was part of a discussion about other boards asking the NCAB staff for help in planning their own buildings; it seems others are jealous and want their own 'Taj Mahal.' At this point the building exists and appears to serve its function quite well. Whether it was the financially prudent thing to do will not truly be known for thirty years or more. One can speculate based on current information, but only in hindsight can a true analysis of whether it cost more or less than leasing space be performed. Given the current pace of inflation, it may indeed prove to be a wise move. (Then again, maybe we are about to head into a depression where all real estate loses value. Only time will tell.) As long as no one on, or associated with, the board was part of the construction process, I am comfortable with the board exercising its power as it saw fit whether I would have made the same decision or not.

The supervisor class I took in FL was the biggest joke I've ever seen; worst class ever taught by anyone, anywhere. The combination of the material and the instructor was just unbelievably bad. Even though I don't plan to have a trainee anytime soon, I may take the NC class just to help ease the memory of the FL fiasco.

The bright side of the higher license fees is the reduction in the number of 'casual' appraisers. If your not actively working, it is a lot of money to spend.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Any government board that spends $3,000,000 on a building for 9 employees has no business EVER claiming they don't have enough money to operate.

There is nothing in state law of the the Misson Statement that indicates owning real estate is more important than properly investigating complaints, disciplining appraisers, protecting the public and other more mundane operations. The employee turn-over at the NCAB has been horrible. The primary reason is the board members care more about bricks and mortar than they do hiring and keeping employees that perform the actual work.

If money was not an issue or concern...it would be a different story. Just last year the NCAB tried (and failed) to get license fee increases thru the legislature. It is hard to make a case that you need MORE money when you have been extravagant with what you have.

Go take the Supervisor class. Cheapest class you will find ($50.00) and well wort the 4 hours. Much of the class is about rules, regulations etc. that apply to everyone...not just trainees and supervisors.

deturner

Professional Status
State
Kansas
Hold on, think I just got a drive-by pre-foreclosure order on that building. Maybe the number of appraisers has dropped.:rof: :rof:

JK

DaveT in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks