• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

No Attic Entrance no Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppServSol

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Mississippi
I have inspected a home that is supposed to go FHA. I could not inspect the attic because it had no attic entrance. The homeowner stated they entered the attic through the gable vents that were attached now. The subject also had no heating unit attached. It had space heating and a gas line run, but the heating unit was unattached to the line and sitting on the back porch. The homeowner said it took up to much room in the summer time. I know don't laugh. When I reported this back to my client all they told me was to do it subject to. I told them that it was a must for FHA guidelines for me to inspect the attic. Am I way off or is the client unaware as ususal.
Let me know.
Thanks.
Mike O.

K.P. Taylor

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
"If unable to visually evaluate the improvements in their entirety, contact the lender and reschedule a time when a complete visual inspection can be performed. This includes access to the crawl space and attic." Page d-3 Appendix D. The appraiser is not required to move anything or use any tool to get access, it is to be provided. Head and shoulder access. Should be able to see all 4 corners of the attic.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
K.P. got it right. contact the lender and reschedule a time when you can get to the attic.

Rufus

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Indiana
"If unable to visually evaluate the improvements in their entirety, contact the lender and reschedule a time when a complete visual inspection can be performed. This includes access to the crawl space and attic." Page d-3 Appendix D. The appraiser is not required to move anything or use any tool to get access, it is to be provided. Head and shoulder access. Should be able to see all 4 corners of the attic.
It is useful to cut and paste this directly from the manual into a document and have a printout handy to read from when talking to the lender. This also allows you to cut & past to email or fax it to them at a moments notice. This lends credibility to your status as a well informed FHA approved appraiser who doesn't take any $hit with regard to cutting corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks