• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

No Closets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprazer

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Any guidelines on lack of bedroom closets? 3 BR home, no closets in any of them.

Don't see anything on VC sheet that seems applicable.

Anyone have a similar situation?

Thanks

Patrick Egger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
No closets is common in Europe (they have wardrobes) ... haven't come across it here. If your market generally requires it (typically all the homes have them) then it looks like a functional problem (curable/incurable) unless you have sales to show no difference in price/terms, etc. between closets and no closets. If its adverse, needs to be disussed in the condition of improvements comments section

As for the VC sheet, there may be a "saleability issue" ... one of HUD's 3 S's ... and if that's the case, you may want to mention it. If you can prove diminished marketability, price, etc ... you need to comment.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Cost to cure and adjust. Typically, we don't call it a bedroom without a closet. How do you know they are all bedrooms. Plus, we have agents call rooms with no bath access "bedrooms". So, is it a bedroom if you have to walk across an open living area to access a bath? Not in my book, but I am not finished writing it, or started it for that matter.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
It depends on the age of the home. A lot of the homes built prior to the 20's had no closets. Wardrobes were used. I find numerous homes built in the late 1800's to early 1900's with no closets in my market. Paired sales do not show an economic obsolescence as the homeowner will trade off the lack of closet for the turn-of-the-century home.

As to a violation of FHA, I would comment and leave it to the UW. If the market doesn't reflect a problem, neither would I.

Roger

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
No closets...no bedrooms! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
The house I grew up in had no closets in any of the rooms on the second floor. We all had free standing wardrobes which is common for the area. What else would you call those rooms?

TC

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I don't know, however; both VA and FHA say "no closet, not a bedroom". What was my old saying....."you can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop"????

aprazer

Professional Status
State
New York
Thanks for letting me know on a Friday afternoon that I now have a zero bedroom house. :blink:

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Are you sure it is a house? :lol:

Maybe it is a cabin? Storage Building? Barn? Yard decoration?

Actually, how expensive is it to add a closet? $500-1,000 per closet, maybe. Cost to cure is really the best answer. Unless, it is typical in your area to have no closets. Just hang your clothes on the shower rod.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Somewhere FHA also had/has a minimum size for a bedroom closet. Anyone remember what that is? I'm thinking it's 2' wide minimum and deep enough for standard hangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks