• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

No Fail Method To Get Paid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
An appraiser friend of mine doesn't pay to collect money and he only deals with local lenders in the State (places he can drive to).

As told me, by him, this is what took place:

After sending a couple of late notices, he drove to the mortgage company, announced who he was and why he was there. The receptionist told him that checks aren't printed from this particular location. He said, "that's o.k. I'll wait"....The flustered receptionist disappeared into the back office, was gone for a couple of minutes, came back and said...."I called accounting and they're taking care of it"....The appraiser said, "Good, Thank you, I'll wait until they get here"...She disappeared again and a LO came out and very diplomatically explained to the appraiser (as he would talk to an idiot) that the check will be written from the accounting office and no check will be delivered here. The appraiser said "Hmmm, well this was the address I put on the appraisal. I'll just wait, thank you. Can I use your phone?" They handed him the phone and the appraiser called Nicky's Pizza and ordered a large pizza to be delivered, with everything on it, giving the lender's address. The two on-lookers were mortified and even more mortified when the stinky pizza arrived 20 minutes later. The appraiser spread out his napkins on one of their chairs and had lunch. Not more than 10 minutes later, he was presented his check. He graciously thanked the receptionist and walked out the door, leaving the empty pizza box and napkins behind. That appraiser is my idol!

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
OUCH, talk about cruel and unusual....I'll have to remember that one....Hey, did he keep the client?? :rofl:

Rich Hahn

Professional Status
General Public
State
Colorado
I dont know how many times LOs have offered to buy me dinner?
Gee if I collect the fee I can buy myself and my wife a great night out. And your offering me a steak dinner?
"I have to take time out to be in your unwanted company"?

Thanks but no thanks. If I cant collect from you I aint doing your work,,bottom line.

Remember MONEY TALKS

BS walks

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
:rofl:
I hope he kept the receipt to write off the lunch. :lol:

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Another twist on the un-invited guest method of forcing a faster payment to an invoice would be.......if you could get a dozen of your friends to accompany you to that business address. You go in first and lay the groundwork for why you are there, then every minute another person walks in, and says..."I'm here, waiting with him (and points over to you)" but then takes the liberty to go sit in or near another person's desk or office cubicle nearby. While sitting there they look around, and pick up papers off that desk and look at them casually. A minute later, the next, and then, the next, the next, etc. The responsible party (the one who will sign that check) then realizes this is a no-win for him/her and grabs the check book ! ......kind of a spin-off on the Letterman Show and his skit of "How Many Guys in a Clown Suit Can You Fit in a Coffee Shop ?"

Kathy in FL

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
A sneaky, not-quite-honest way I've used is to "forget" and leave a sticky note in the envelope with the invoice, addressed to my mythical assistant..."Lisa"

Lisa...invoice him one more time and then file in small claims. Thanks.

It works very well on reluctant people who have the money, but were hoping that you'd just let it slide.

Kathy in FL

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
Originally posted by Kathy in FL@May 27 2003, 09:14 AM
A sneaky, not-quite-honest way I've used is
Reminds me of what I've used ( on occasion, of course ) if there is an error in one of my reports....... :rolleyes:

Processor calls and says on one page it says this, and on the other page it says that.....

My response: "Darn clerical worker.....good thing I let her go last week"
:unsure:

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Originally posted by Kathy in FL@May 27 2003, 08:14 AM
A sneaky, not-quite-honest way I've used is to "forget" and leave a sticky note in the envelope with the invoice, addressed to my mythical assistant..."Lisa"

Lisa...invoice him one more time and then file in small claims. Thanks.
I love that one!

I have three different female voices for the answering machine messages. Just because I enjoyed playing with the text to speech software. I gave each one a name so I could keep the files straight. Guess I could use their names on the note! :mrgreen:

I LOVE IT!!

Paul Burger

Freshman Member
Has anyone ever had any luck taking their past due clients to small claims court? I don't have the guts to show up and stay 'til I get my money. If I could collect what's owed, my CFO (wife) would be a very happy woman. For a few minutes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks