• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

No Foundation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Not that I am aware of. But it is not uncommon on older adobe homes in the desert southwest.

What is your question?

sueinprescott

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
This is a 1924 home, appraisal for estate purposes, without a foundation. Do I try to comp it with other homes without foundation (if I can find them)? or does it matter?

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Is it adobe, cmu, wood frame? Is it stuccoed? If so, is it portland stucco or is it mud plaster?

If it is adobe, I would comp only with other adobe homes. too much "romance" attraction to the old homes for newer framed ones to be legit comps. If it is framed, I have no idea......termites come to mind as a potential problem....the house itself may be riddled with them. I would get an inspectgion before I tried to establish value. The cost to cure (either termitres of lack of foundation) could easily be greater than the value of the home.

Original adobe was built out of the surrounding ground and laid directly on the ground. Potential problems with it, is that modern renovations will frequently use portland stucco to plaster it with. This prevents ground moisture from escaping into the atmosphere through the finish and will eventuall saturate the adobe, making it weak and crumbly. If you have original plaster and original adobe without a foundation, that should not be viewed as a problem in itself. Just find other old adobes. If it has portland stucco, check around the base of the walls and look for any significant cracking.

Is the floor dirt, or is it set on vegas? Again termites come into consideration as does ground moisture.

sueinprescott

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
thank you, great recommendation on inspection re: termites. I haven't inspected yet, and it is wood frame/metal construction.

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
Sue:
Listen to Gregg because when it comes to having no foundation Gregg is one of the most experienced people I know of.

sueinprescott

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Ok Austin, I will and did ;) . Also per customer, floors are wood. He's ordering a termite inspection first.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I think you really need to look at what is "no foundation". I have numerous homes of 75-100 years old in my market that have native rocks holding the beams in place or bois d' arc posts (which is an acceptable foundation per FHA - this stuff is naturally impervious to rot and termites). While the homes do not have what would be considered a modern foundation, they have a foundation.

Roger

sueinprescott

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Per owner, dirt and wood floors only. I'll check it out, my appt. is end of month. I'll let you know of my findings. Should be fun.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Redwood on grade was not uncommon years ago, Frank Lloyd used pea gravel, and there are a host of other methods which were once "not uncommon" and still remain as structurally sound residences!

Try in order of preference: history search, asking a LOT of questions, maybe calling for an engineers report :confused: , and failing all other reasonable efforts at discovery: possibly use of an extraordinary assumption that the subject is structurally sound!

Let us know what you discover: and how come you are soooo lucky?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks