• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

No heat, 3rd floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventure0us1

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
I have a question regarding heat source for a finished 3rd level. I have read all the guidelines and know that as far as FHA is concerned "ALL habitable rooms must have a heat source". The third floor on this home is accessed through a hallway full walk up stair case and is otherwise finished similar to the rest of the house (HW flooring, plaster, etc.) This room is substantial in size as well 20' x 13'. Homes in this area typically have finished 3rd levels with most having a heat source (typically electric base). It appears as though the county records is including this area in the overall GLA (I know that is not my determining factor). Just wondering how some of you would treat this? The room has added value in this neighborhood. There is adequate electric service to add electric base for a minimal cost. Should I call for heat to be added, count this as a finished attic with no heat, etc. ? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Greg Bell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Louisiana
No heat means not livable area.Subject to a heat source or do not include in livable area..

stefan olafson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Dakota
How old is the home? In my work area there are a lot of older homes built before 1930 that have only a large kerosene or oil stove on the main floor. This is how some properties were built back then, all bedrooms on the second floor because when night came along all the heat had made its way upstairs.

Perfectly legal, in fact on one I checked with the VA, they said yeah, that's okay....

And it hits -40 degrees out here on the prairie in the winter!

adventure0us1

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Home is 100+ yr old urban row house. Permanent, automatic heat source is common and typical (HWBB, radiator, etc.) I agree with the earlier posts and am going to count it subject to the installation of heat source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks