• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

No water meter

headscratch

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I did a new construction condo unit... apparently there was no water meter hooked up yet, honestly i never noticed. The sales office called me over the weekend and said the water meter is now installed....is this an appraisal condition? i have never come across this and never checked the water meter... is this a subject to type of condition? he wanted me to come out again and take a pic as he is in a rush to close the sale, but not sure if i need to or not. Thanks

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I did a new construction condo unit... apparently there was no water meter hooked up yet, honestly i never noticed. The sales office called me over the weekend and said the water meter is now installed....is this an appraisal condition? i have never come across this and never checked the water meter... is this a subject to type of condition? he wanted me to come out again and take a pic as he is in a rush to close the sale, but not sure if i need to or not. Thanks
It should have been a condition by you - If the lender wants you to do it then go back do a 1004-D , take a photo and charge them $100 $150 bucks - easy peasy :)

headscratch

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
California
Yea i am just going to wait until i hear back from my client and go from there. Thanks

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
So you appraised it as is but there was no water source as is? Nice. Got a license? Want to keep it? Pay closer attention. A RE agent calling you out so to speak ain't the best look to lenders and/or appraisal boards.

Mark K

Professional Status
State
Indiana
So you appraised it as is but there was no water source as is? Nice. Got a license? Want to keep it? Pay closer attention. A RE agent calling you out so to speak ain't the best look to lenders and/or appraisal boards.
Lighten up a bit.

First, he said no meter, not 'no water source'. Often times the water meter is the last thing installed and the water is supplied via a bypass for construction and testing.

Second, I know a lot of condos in this area that have no water meters on the individual units; the entire building is on one meter and the individual units are billed a flat rate.

To the OP, see what your client wants; you don't work for the sales office.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Lighten up a bit.

First, he said no meter, not 'no water source'. Often times the water meter is the last thing installed and the water is supplied via a bypass for construction and testing.

Second, I know a lot of condos in this area that have no water meters on the individual units; the entire building is on one meter and the individual units are billed a flat rate.

I'm not being overly harsh. I could be. The OP apparently appraised as is and assumed it was ready and able to be occupied. The OA should have been made subject to "ready and able". Regardless or individual meter or not.

Econobot

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Depending on the assignment you should have checked to see if the water was functioning and the house was "completely finished", often times this is why a house needs a Certificate of Occupancy, the local inspector will do all of this. I would advise re-reading assignment conditions and revising your report yourself if you have made a mistake. I will condition a report to Certificate of Occupancy, it establishes legality in the context of a fully functioning residence and can save you a lot of trouble like you're describing.

Econobot

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Lighten up a bit.

Bypassing a meter but continuing supply is not something any water provider would do, "sure we can give you free water with no way to measure it" said no water company ever.....

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks