• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Non-permitted Attic Space Included In GLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rml3020

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Nevada
Been fighting with this between appraisers, subject has converted the attic into office area which is not permitted. Is this included in the total GLA..? It's really pimped out, has electrical, no windows. It's finished just like the house.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
It's finished attic, not GLA. Are those appraisers nutz?

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
not in my market. we have lots of older housing and quite frequently the attic has been finished, many times with a half or full baht, however it is not part of the GLA. it gets a single-line adjustment if one of my comps does not have a finished attic.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Been fighting with this between appraisers, subject has converted the attic into office area which is not permitted. Is this included in the total GLA..? It's really pimped out, has electrical, no windows. It's finished just like the house.

The Question is; Does local Zoning have the ability to issue a Stop Order of any kind ? If zoning or building find it as Not permitted, they can require a rip out and apply permit ?
No permit / No GLA

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
In my area a finished "attic" is included in the GLA. It must have a ceiling height of at least 7', space where ceiling is less than 5' is not counted..

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Yesterday I inspected a older, single level 2200 sf house that had a funky add-on attic space with a 6-1/2 foot ceiling at the peak. The area is about 8 x 40. Its not for lending, but there is no way I'm including the attic in GLA.....because the market wouldn't. Its just a space feature that will be adjusted for as a lump sum.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I would make the adjustment on a lower grid and not include it in the GLA some of those get very hot in the summer .. no windows -no insulation-blah blah blah

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
You people! 17 years and i have never appraised anything with an attic. We don't do attics in Phoenix. Then i read this attic thread 5 minutes ago. Then I pulled the MLS listing for today's VA assignment "Dreamy attic master suite" . Built in 1936 no less... It's all your fault!!!

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
You people! 17 years and i have never appraised anything with an attic. We don't do attics in Phoenix. Then i read this attic thread 5 minutes ago. Then I pulled the MLS listing for today's VA assignment "Dreamy attic master suite" . Built in 1936 no less... It's all your fault!!!

Haha, go buy a lottery ticket, it's your lucky day. :leeann2:

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio

i can give you lots of comps but they will be over the 1 mile radius...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks