• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

North Carolina Legislature reconvenes, please contact them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
The North Carolina Legislature reconvened today. The House was unable to agree on a Speaker of the House for the 2003 session. I am told that a new Speaker will be elected tomorrow since nothing much can be done until that is taken care of.

I will print and mail THE NORTH CAROLINA APPRAISERS PETITION and The APPRAISERS PETITION (started and found right here on appraisersforum.com) to Raleigh as soon as the Speaker takes control.

Again, I ask you to sign both of these petitions if you have not and also this is a GREAT TIME to email all the NC Senators and Representatives asking them to take the NCAB appointments (and ALL license board appointments) a little more seriously this time.

The Appointments Bill, which was VETOED by Governor Easley, will be redone and voted on very early in the session.

Please check out these two petitions at:

http://appraiserspetition.com/

and

http://www.appraiserspetition.com/nc/

Also, it would mean a great deal if these legislators got some emails from appraisers concerned with the issues outlined in the petitions and any other issues you wish to address. We need LOTS OF EMAILS....no matter where you live, what state, county or town..........send these guys an email and we can do the same in any other state where appraisers want to improve the appraisal profession. You can email ALL of our State Legislators with one simple email to:

[email protected]

Thanks,

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Done!

Thanks for providing the link, it made responding so easy.

PLEASE everyone DO take a minute or two to write those folk....
after two days only 13 looksees into this post is inadequate.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Thanks Le Ann!

I am not just concerned about stuff in North Carolina. Our numbers are so few that we ALL neeed to help out in ALL the states.

If anyone in another state needs help with improving the political process or other appraisal issues I am willing to help in what ever small way I can.

I am afrsid that many appraisers still "don't get it".

ONLY STATE BOARDS ENFORCE and INTERPRET USPAP!!!!

There is NO FEDERAL AGENCY that oversees, disciplines or regulates appraisers.

Maybe all the other state have great systems???? If so, let us know here, we might all learn a thing or two.

Professional Status
General Public
State
North Carolina
Bob

States should not be interpreting USPAP, only enforcing it.

Regards

Tom Hildebrandt GAA

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Should be and what is being done are two different things.

No Federal Agency came to your rescue when interpretations were made in oposition to yours.

Professional Status
General Public
State
North Carolina
Bob

You are 100% correct, things ain't the way they should.

Regarding the feds, I did not expect intervention on the merits, I expect redemption in the appeals, if not from state agencies, then the feds will intercede.

Regards

Tom Hildebrandt GAA

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Hah,

You guys will never get it changed. Most of these jobs are political "plum" jobs. They are paybacks for party support or donations, in most cases.

Here's the way it works in NJ. Appointments are recommended by either the county chairman of the Republican or Democrat party to the governor. The party that holds the governorship must have the majority of members on the boards, however, that doesn't always happen as the local elected officials from the opposite party can block appointments or not approve exisitng members when their term expires making them "holdovers."

If it gets that far, the governor then approves or disapproves of the appointment. If the appointment is Ok'd, the legislature has to approve the new candidate. The local Assemblyperson may require an interview with the candidate, if they want to appear interested in the process to the public. Then the fun begins, the local elected officials bargain amongst themselves to get stuff/plums for approving the candidate.

We have two Republican politicians that the Democrats can not beat in the local elections, so what to do... Well, try to bribe them out of the way by offering them judgeships which the Dems will recommend immediate approval to the Dem Gov, if they accept.

You're not going to change the system until you take the patronage out of it, which you can't do..

Ben

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Ben:

At the same time letting them know, that WE know, that they couldn't even take the time to insure that one of the last appointees agreed to serve may not HURT the process :roll: .

I've tossed off a couple pretty stiff letters which if lucky enough to be read by someone capable of following the three syllable words might even catch their attention.

Politicians do not LIKE knowing that they are considered idiots even beyond thier mud puddle, for you see some of them have aspirations to be not only big frogs in thier little pond but to be able to make noise and cause ripple beyond.

So for the few moments it takes me to fire off a letter: I'll DO it! I'll sign the petition because they will still have to look at the name to make sure it IS/ISN'T one of THIER local voters :twisted: .

see? See? SEE?

We got (maybe) the itty bitty amount of power needed to give the boulder an itty bitty push to cause the avalanche :twisted:

Professional Status
General Public
State
North Carolina
Lee Ann

These guys (and gals, I do not want to b labeled as mot politically correct) hate publicity unless it gains them votes or patronage.

The trick is to back them into a unacceptable position and bludgeon them with it.

Hence petions and such are pretty good stuff, but even better are properly framed ethics complaints to those entities who can issue punative judgements. The only better way to get action is to buy votes and get your own voice on the board.

Regards

Tom hildebrandt GAA

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
The only better way to get action is to buy votes and get your own voice on the board.

Tom,

That is where I parted company with you. Buying votes is wrong, unethical, dishonest and immoral. No matter WHO is doing the buying is still just as wrong.

If you can buy off or bribe someone it should be obvious that they should not be trusted. The problem with buying votes is that someone will always be willing to up the price.

Anyone who is willing to do the buying.....can be bought. When you lay down with dogs you just may wake up with fleas.

If the buying of votes and seats remains the acceptable practice then we should all know upfront that if and when we appear before a board or commission, the folks in power can and will be swayed ....not by justice, fairness and reason....but by greed, dishonesty and lack of integrity.

Even the board member that you helped buy a seat for voted against you. What happened, did someone write a bigger check?
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks