• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Norton Antivirus Conflicts With Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
I know this topic may belong in the Alamode section but this is somewhat urgent and there be a similar problem with other software.

I'm in the process of upgrading my operating system from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional. We also upgraded to Norton Systemworks 2003 at the same time. We are making progress but there appears to be a major conflict between Norton AntiVirus and Wintotal. Alamode has offered two possible solutions. The first choice is to disable Norton AntiVirus whenever we are working in Wintotal. Somehow this just doesn't seem like a good option to me. The second option was to exclude the Wintotal folder from Norton Antivirus. My computer tech says this really isn't a good option either because Wintotal is on our server and we have work stations. Has anyone else experienced a conflict between their appraisal software and Norton Antivirus with the XP operating system?

Joshua Fookes

Professional Status
State
California
larry

I'm using Norton's Antivirus 2002 with XP, running Alamode and am not having any notable problems. You might be able to find an older version of norton's.

Now that I think about it my supervisor has a network and started using syemantic's anti virus software. The server is running Windows 2000, one workstation uses 98 and another is using XP. I think he only has the antivirus software on the Windows 2000 server machine. But I'm not sure, he might have it on all the machines. I'll ask him about it today when we go out. It might work out for you to switch from Norton's over to symantic's software.

Hope that helps, and good luck with the issues. It's great when everything works like it's supposed to. And a pain in the :eek:nfire: when it doesn't.

Again, good luck

Josh

Sean Braudrick

Sophomore Member
OK... I'll be the one to break the news....

Joshua -

Norton & Symantec are the same thing.

Norton is to Symantec as Sprite is to Coke.

Steve Forstner

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
I've got XP Pro, Wintotal Pro and Norton 2002 and I'm having no problems at all, system is very stable and Wintotal is working better than ever.

Your best solution is probably to try another Anti-virus software vendor. Have you downloaded all of the updates from Microsoft?

Steve

Michael Elliott

Sophomore Member
Larry,

Try the AVG anti-virus software from www.grisoft.com. The free version works very well, and is not a system-hog like Nortons.

We've been using it on 6 machines for over 2 years now, with not a single conflict. Plus, it has twice caught a virus BEFORE our one appraiser's machine which has a fully-updated copy of Norton.

If you download new anti-virus software, be sure to uninstall or at least disable Nortons and two anti-virus programs running at the same time can cause an issue or at least a system slow-down.

-Michael Elliott
[email protected]

David Mullen

I have Systemworks 2003 and disable all their functions so that they will only be run manually. Over the years and up to and including this version, Symantec (Norton) products invade the computer and take over everything. It has caused so many problems for me that I will not allow it to run in it's default mode.

I use AVG from Grisoft for day to day virus checking. It is enabled at all times and has caught 2 potential viruses before they got through.

I still use Norton Anti-Virus too but only run it manually about once a week. It has never found anything except on one occasion. My brother in law brought over a floppy to show me something and I had it ready to read before I woke up and scanned it. There was a virus and Norton caught that one.

AVG is free at this time and has regular updates. Updates seem to be available at least once a week.

I have hears rumors that Grisoft it considering charging for their product but do not at this time. I have also heard that there are other very good and free anti virus programs available from other sources.

Joshua Fookes

Professional Status
State
California
learned something new again!

Thanks

Pat Butler

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Try keeping the antivirus portion of your software running but disable everything else. Systemworks has always been a resource heavy program that causes more problems than it solves.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
And I thought I was the only one with problems! :twisted: Norton and my multi list programs conflict. I'm not disabling Norton, and certainly have to use my multi list programs. So, it takes me longer to search for comps because I have to look at each one separately, print it if I want it, then look at another. Nothing's easy!

Sorry, can't help you with Alamode/Norton. Can't even help myself! :angry:

Pat Butler

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Try turning off the "Scan outgoing mail" feature. If you are using all the other features of Norton then you shouldn't be getting any incoming viruses that could inadvertantly be sent back out. The scanning of outgoing mail really slows down a system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks