• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

NOT a joke- WARNING FOR DOG OWNERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Kennedy

Thread Starter
Elite Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2003
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
----- Subject: A Warning to Dog Owners

If you have a dog... PLEASE read this and send it
on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to
friends who do.

Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio


This week I had the first case in history of raisin
toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a
56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate
half a canister of raisins sometime between
7:30 AM
and
4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting,
diarrhea and shaking about
1AM on Wednesday but the
owner didn't call my emergency service until
7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes
causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any
formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the
dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER
service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me
- had hear d something about it, but.... Anyway, we
contacted the
ASPCA National Animal Poison Control
Center and they said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2
times maintenance and watch the kidney values for
the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was
already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine!
Over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are
monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We
placed an IV catheter and started the fluids.
Rechecked the renal values at
5 PM and the BUN was
over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine
production after a liter of fluids. At the point I
felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him
on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine
output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and
his renal values ha ve continued to increase daily.
He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He
was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and
they still couldn't control his vomiting Today his
urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120,
his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very
elevated and his blood pressure, which had been
staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He
continued to vomit and the owners elected to
Euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners
who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please
alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very
serious risk


Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern. Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.

 

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2002
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Absolutely true - what many folks do not know is that chocolate, onions and my favorite nut - Mcadamia... can off your fur-buddy also:sad: .

So when you get that bag of white chocolate macademia nut cookies, keep em away from Fido

...and just in case - I sequester them from other family members as well :icon_mrgreen: - its a tough job taste and poison testing all those cookies, but someone's got to do it!
 

Billy Johnson

Sophomore Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2005
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
I actually used to give them as a treat before I knew better..please pass this along to any one you know that just got a dog.
 

Wendy

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2004
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Thanks Mike - that's a good reminder.
 

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2002
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Once in awhile while I am eating grapes, one will fall on the floor. My playful and constantly in-search-for-food Jack Russell will grab it up, toss it around, roll it, sit and stare at it.........but never eat it. Maybe he knows better, instinctively. I didn't know that about grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts.

Thanks for the info.
 

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
My dogs eat grapes off the vine, no ill effects. Maybe drying the grapes concentrates a toxin? Foxes, dogs first cousin, eat a lot of grapes. You see it in the scat. The old folks around here call wild grapes "fox grapes", because the foxes spread the seeds, already fertilized.
 

Wendy

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2004
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Mr Rex - a few fresh grapes will not hurt a healthy large dog like yours. It's the little ones that are at the most risk. Raisins are worst due to the drying and concentrating as you suspected.

My dog has eaten grapes before I knew they were bad for her. She was nice enough to return them to me undigested in a pile of vomit. Nice.
 

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2002
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
onions and any member of the Lilly family can off your horse as well. If I am remembering correctly dogs as well.

In horse it causes a what is call the Heiz affect and changes the blood count and how much 02 they get. Been a lot of years and I may need to go back and re-read the research.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Top

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks