• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Not Renewing WinTotal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alison Swain

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Looks like I probably will not renew my Elite subscription with alamode. Last year, their VP of Sales called and swore that they were coming out with a monthly or quarterly payment plan within the next two months. I went ahead and renewed for full freight. Now this year, it's the same song and dance -- "oh, we've got that in the works, blah, blah, blah."

If I don't renew at all (I'll only now consider Silver membership), what do I need to consider? I'm going with Carbonite for my back-up. I assume I'll lose my mapping ability --- which means what, I'll have to buy DeLorme, right? What else do I need to consider? Or should I just bite the bullet and go ahead and renew with a Silver subscription?

Alamode has really disappointed me. The BS about billing aside, the crap they push about X-site generating business chaps my *** too. I have a client who has their Originator software and he can't even find me anywhere in the system. We've both called more than once and either they act like they don't know what we're talking about or they act like they do and they've fixed the problem. To this day, he can't find me when he's ready to assign an appraiser. 3 years of Elite membership and some $4,000+ later, I've got exactly 0 orders as a result of having an X-site. :angry:

Of all the money I've spent in the past 3 + years of setting up and working my own shop, that was the money most wasted. I should have stuck with ACI.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
It is hard on a small business

to have such upfront costs. I renewed this year with the tin foil membership and basically got the least amount of features beyond the use of the software that I could--simply due to that issue.

Times is tuff, sumpin' gotta give.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
For less than one appraisal:

Silver membership still gives you mapping and updates.

When I had WinTOTAL, I always stuck with the silver plan, and usually renewed 'on sale' at $100 off. There is (or at least was) a significant discount for renewing online rather than over the phone. You depend on your software to do your job. Not having a support plan is not a smart move, IMHO.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Silver membership still gives you mapping and updates.

When I had WinTOTAL, I always stuck with the silver plan, and usually renewed 'on sale' at $100 off. There is (or at least was) a significant discount for renewing online rather than over the phone. You depend on your software to do your job. Not having a support plan is not a smart move, IMHO.

I think that is what i ended up with, I was joking about tin foil.

I do get the updates still. You GOTTA have those. They actually do fix the problems right about the time you get sick of it.

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida
I went with Silver from the start. Never did see the need for all the Elite extras.

BlueDog007

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Thanks Alison! That helps me make a better, more informed decision about which software to use. Looks like I will stick with ACI, at least for a little while.

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Looks like I probably will not renew my Elite subscription with alamode. Last year, their VP of Sales called and swore that they were coming out with a monthly or quarterly payment plan within the next two months. I went ahead and renewed for full freight. Now this year, it's the same song and dance -- "oh, we've got that in the works, blah, blah, blah."

Monthly would be nice, but you can renew anytime, and they will prorate your fees based on the time left on the contract.
If I don't renew at all (I'll only now consider Silver membership), what do I need to consider? I'm going with Carbonite for my back-up.
I guess you are talking about vault here. Vault was never meant to be your only means of backup. Vault is good for your appraisal files, but you would still need a true backup system.

Alamode has really disappointed me. The BS about billing aside, the crap they push about X-site generating business chaps my *** too. I have a client who has their Originator software and he can't even find me anywhere in the system. We've both called more than once and either they act like they don't know what we're talking about or they act like they do and they've fixed the problem. To this day, he can't find me when he's ready to assign an appraiser. 3 years of Elite membership and some $4,000+ later, I've got exactly 0 orders as a result of having an X-site. :angry:
My x-site is more then a tool to drive MB orders to my company. Its about getting you name out to the FSBO client, the attorney clients, ect. I have gotten orders straight off my x-site, but I get more no-lender work then lender work (from my x-site) simply because people can find me. I had a attorney from Chicago find my x-site and ask about doing an estate he was handling, He go my name from my x-site.

Of all the money I've spent in the past 3 + years of setting up and working my own shop, that was the money most wasted. I should have stuck with ACI.
To me the Elite bundle from Alamode has been well worth the money.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I went with Silver from the start. Never did see the need for all the Elite extras.
With the silver membership, and renewing nothing else, you cost is no more than $349 a year. I'd stick with it if I were you.

Smokehouse

Professional Status
State
Florida
I think we may have had 5 orders on xsite over the last couple of years. It is way too cumbersome to use and takes too much time. IMNSHO

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Who knows, if you don't renew, you might have software that's stable -- and doesn't crash & burn.
The one reason I use bradford is that it's stable.
Would HATE to lose the mapping features --- in any package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks