• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

'nother Idiotic Fsa Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I got whacked by a storm, ripped off my roof, uprooted trees, bent my hay barn into a trapezium...Friday not a fun day. Finally got electric and phone back after noon. Message from FSA reviewer on the machine....

Q - you don't have a legal.
A- There is none, the seller is not going to pay for a survey (partial sale of property) until he sees the green.

Q- You failed to discuss "any anticipated public or private improvements on or off the property"
A - That exact verbage is found on page ONE ...[idiot]

Q- You did not take any functional or external obsolescence of the subject and/or comparbles, surely as old as those houses are.....there MUST BE SOME functional obsolescence.
A - Can we say ASSumption? There is none...[idiot] The houses have all been updated to the lastest tunnel ventilation specs of the grower which commands the highest per unit income, anything less gets your contract pulled.....which meets the test of H & B Use (maximally productive)...which means there is NO external force affecting the property value, or it would not be the maximally productive use.

Q - We need an aerial photo and soils map of the subject AND the comparables used.....
A - Since when, you reviewed me 5 times so far this year and not one has an aerial photo or soils map because no one gives a big rat's hieny about the soil types on a building intensive [chicken] farm...on the COMPS, too?

Q- We want a breakout of land classifications (i.e.-numerical)
A- See previous answer above

Q-We would like more verification of the income and "rental" rates.
A - Like this isn't enough " In support of this net operating income estimate, operating statements of area owners for the previous years may be reviewed, together with available operating cost estimates." ;"Income contract terms were provided by the owner" ; "Report of Owner / $1.98/SF"; "gas rebate 5¢ per SF annually"; "The income is from zzz Foods premium contract for broilers in tunnel ventilated houses. The income of the farm appears to be above the average income of similar farms and appears to be currently well managed." [other citations ad nauseum] This is supposed to be a SUMMARY report, and you CLAIM that you accept these FSA-backed deals with what the LENDER requires, not what you require of FSA Roster appraisals. IF you demand a self-contained report then TELL THE LENDER.

What horrible omissions!!! I should have the skin from my wrists flayed and killer ants be placed on it.

I refuse to do another FSA back loan appraisal in Oklahoma...I have never even had a serious question asked of me by Arkansas and am convinced that FSA in Oklahoma wants my clients to use someone else, someone I suspect willing to pay a kickback. There is no other logical explanation.

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Chances are he(proably she) has never operated a Poultry farm.

To review you don't have to have that experience---but to do it accurately it would help.

"houses that old, must have some depreciation" leads me to believe that the reviewer is a "hen" not "rooster" just out of college.

Thats just my opinion, of which there is no charge because I am not lic. in Oka.

Retired chicken farrmer, ed.

Walt Humphrey

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Making decisions in some FSA offices does not require brains. Was advised once that I had a conflict of interest for a particular assignment as I had appraised the adjoining property for the buyer's attorney. When I responded that it was a Federal Court Case, and the case was finished and beyond appeal, I was advised that he didn't have time to mess with people like me.

Retired farmer, Walt

Ted Potter

Freshman Member
Thank God I’m more or less retired, but your experience is exactly why I quit doing FSA work ten years ago. Too many reviewers don’t know a bale of hay from a bull’s butt.

Ted (Cowboy with a degree)
:beer:

jtrotta

while we don't do any Poultry - in my area, it seems as though *Reviewers are not hired for their years of experience, but to reflect the - Chief Appraiser; Head Honchue; Ripe Rubarb; in the endless search of rectal intervention :unsure:

tempature please B)

:ph34r:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks