• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

NSF and Stop Payment Checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Hankins

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I just found in the Texas Penal Code, in (Sec. 31.06. Presumption: Theft By Check), about "stop payment" checks. Iv'e got a couple of checks from homeowners that have stopped payment and thought I was screwed and had to go to civil court. All you have to do is send a demand letter (just like an NSF check). All TEXAS requires is this statement included in the letter.
"This is a demand for payment in full for a check or order not paid because of a lack of funds or insufficient funds. If you fail to make payment in full within 10 days after the date of receipt of this notice, the failure to pay creates a presumption for committing an offense, and this matter may be referred for criminal prosecution."

Hope this helps someone!

James R

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
That is very helpful. Is there a time limit for when you can send the letter? I have one from a couple months ago that I need to send.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks