• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Occupied by on a hunting cabin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Schneider

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Working on a report for a parcel of recreational land that has a 270SF hunting cabin on it. It is nice (fireplace, wall AC, 2x4 construction) but has no running water. The wintotal GP land form has the options to check owner occupied, vacant, tenant, or non habitable. I am leaning towards non habitable, since it would be unlikely most people would be able to live there full time. What say you?

uncle fish

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
sounds like all the value is in the land. no plumbing, no elec & no heat. the cabin sounds irrelevant. I would classify it as vacant land and make mention of all improvements and their functional utility. there is a cabin so it is habitable land.

Last edited:

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Working on a report for a parcel of recreational land that has a 270SF hunting cabin on it. It is nice (fireplace, wall AC, 2x4 construction) but has no running water. The wintotal GP land form has the options to check owner occupied, vacant, tenant, or non habitable. I am leaning towards non habitable, since it would be unlikely most people would be able to live there full time. What say you?

My first question to you is: Is the cabin attached to the ground in some manner or is it on skids?

What is the foundation like?

There are many of these cabins through out Wisconsin, many have no inside plumbing of any sorts but yet they are habitable, IE Amish homes, no plumbing or water system in the home, wood stove for heat, fireplace for heat are these then non habitable? I have a friend who bought 40 acres place one of these small cabins on it and lives there full time. No inside plumbing, no runing water, Franklin Stove for heat and cooking.

If the cabin is on skids not afixed to the land, then the cabin is personal property and can be moved in less then a day. Most are not site built and are moved in on a low-boy trailer.

William Little

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Owner

There are a lot of residences around here that are not inhabited year around. Some counties these are the majority of the improved lots in the county. Many have cisterns for water. I've appraised a few with outhouses (gotta watch county regulations on that). I can think of one that is occupied for six months a year which has neither running water nor indoor bathroom. But it is a rental unit and not owner occupied.

If a million dollar house with 5,000 Sq.Ft. GLA is inhabited for two weeks a year is it any more "owner occupied" than a hunter's cabin of 500 Sq.Ft. that is only occupied two weeks a year?

I think if it doesn't have a bathroom, it better have a legal outhouse to be considered habitable.

Disclose everything in detail and find comparable sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks