• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Oh Yea ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coalette Psuik

Freshman Member
I am young only 21 and look young not 21. Is this going to hold me back to job opportunities with comp? Like companies will turn me away because of my age and how young I look? Thinking I cannot do the job, when I will be able to ? Because age and looks does have alot to with recieveing job opportunities

Randy Beigh

Coalette

By itself, the answer to your question is no, your age should have very little to do with anything. But, there are other issues.

If your physical appearance, such as clothing, nose rings, etc make you look immature, then this could have an effect. Further, and maybe more important, is attitude. If you think age will have an effect, then age will have an effect. Attitude is everything.

For those of us that do hire people, and I do, age or youthful appearance is not one of the criterias that we have any interest in. Education, experience, attitude, and then just a sense that we are hiring the correct person for the job.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Marc T. Girard

Freshman Member
Coalette,
I am a trainee wanna-be myself (although down to just taking the test through OREA). I feel compeled as a 37 old person who has hired over 270 people of all ages to address your concerns. Being hired by ANY professional is directly related to your attitude and presentation. Presentation includes not only how you look but also how you speak and communicate. In my bussiness I've turned away mauchmore folks than I've hired. I've met "junk in the face" pierced out 18 year olds that come across verbally as mature for thier age. And I've met 22 year olds that communicate like 16 year olds.
The biggest hurdle you may encounter is your ability to write clear sentences that SOUND like you are able to speak and write like an appraiser. This is not a slam or cut-down...you are asking our opinions on this forum. Now you may be very articulate and not using the "...like..." word as much in speaking. But an appraiser will be looking for you to write in a professional manner ( proper grammer and flow of thoughts) and the way you come across in your posts doesn't indicate that ability to the level I feel is needed.

Another reply mentioned the same thing. What are your thoughts on this?
:rolleyes:

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Go to a really good department store and talk to some of the sales clerks in the women's department. Many are quite young but appear much more mature because of their clothing, hair styles, and make up. Perhaps they can help you get started with a basic professional wardrobe and a make over.

Hopefully you speak and write fairly well. Groups like Toastmasters can help in that department if it is a problem. Did you happen to see Good Morning America today? This young girl said "me and him went to the beach". He said, "Like ....Wait, wait...that's wrong.....it's her and me went to the beach, you know". What a turn off!

It's not easy getting started but it can be done. Something I like to hear from a prospective trainee is..."how can I best help you with your business?".

I wish you well.

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
Actually, not to come out as a total male pig, If you are young, and good looking, it might even help.....At an office I used to work at, we had an appraiser who was gorgeous, but might not have been the best appraiser in the office. Didn't matter to the homeowners or the Realtors who kept calling us with nothing but compliments to the loan officers. A lot of realtors actually sent more work over to the loan officers, with the request that she did their appraisals.......

Guess it's still better than using a number hitter, right??

Coalette Psuik

Freshman Member
Yes my grammer of ways does need adjustment, as clothing and hair go etc. I do have my buisness attire. But I do appreciate all of the help .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks