• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Oil Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indy Residential

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Indiana
I have recently inspected a property that has a gas furnace. There is however an oil tank in that was left in the basement. I am all most certain I have read that the oil tank has to be removed from the property, but can not find it. This is an FHA assignment, can someone please verify this information for me, or guide me in the right direction? Thank you for reading.

Farewell Coach Dungy, you will be missed in Indy

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I know of nothing that requires the old oil storage tanks to be removed. I would just note it in the report and let the UW worry about it.

Side note: My old farmhouse in Kalamazoo had 2 fuel oil tanks in the basement when purchased in 1975. In 1978, gas came down the road and we switched. In 1988, when we sold the house, the buyer wanted the oil tanks removed as part of the sales agreement. I contacted the fuel oil supplier, they came out, pumped out the fuel oil that was in the tanks, disassembled the old tanks, carted them off and wrote me a check for $78.00. Such a deal.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I agree 100% with Mr. Carlsen on this one.

MEL

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I also concur with Mr. Carlsen. I do the same. Just note what you saw and if you noticed any leakage.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
To prevent stips / questions - suggest taking 2 shots of it side view and floor beneath (confirms no leakage). comment on it. no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks