• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Old Bombs in a subdivision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
After a year, the Army Corps of Engineers is going to spend appx $250K to do soil samples, etc to determine the problem with the WWII practice and unexploded bombs in a subdivsion. The subdivision was built on a site of a practice range in Arlington, TX. Housing starts have halted until the determinations have been made.

Roger

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I've had a few blow ups at my house, but that was only my ex-wife

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
"They" say that these bombs are non-explosive. However, if this was a practice range, surely they used some live bombs as well, and statistics indicate at least some didn't explode on contact. And therein lies the problem.

Roger

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
How did that subdivision get built in the first place? How old is it? Have there been any "blow-ups" since it was built? And I thought I'd heard it all!

jtrotta

am a little surprised no one has been exploded yet, with digging for foundation's & all :?

incredable, yet not - gobmnt. didn't know this in the start up phase :?:

8)

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
You might want to talk to some of the folks out in Guam (or some of the other WWll hotly contested South Pacific or Marianas islands...)

They have found 'live' ones all over those rocks, when they get a 'big one' (like 500 lbs or so) the nighborhood gets spooked for a while... I PERSONALLY think it is like many other forms of temporary diminition in value: it is the hot topic for a while and then drops off everybodies radar. Those were typically individual 'finds' but sometimes they came up with 'areas' also.

Most buyers don't think much about whats under the paint (or the grass), it's that top layer that matters... Saw them uncover some really big ones out in Guam: interesting process 8O .

Buried bombs tend to stay dead until you hit them with a major piece of equipment. They usually don't go off even then. Most equipment operators figure out that they ran into 'something big' and stop to figure out what. In an area known to be a former landing zone for that kind of stuff they are even more twitchy if their hoe bucket pops on something.

Interesting topic! Wonder if there is a single GOOD source for locating decomissioned former sites? We are seeing expansion on some near to Fort Riley land that I suspect to contain a few 'strays'.

Ken in Arkansas

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Anyone ever heard of the Southwest Proving Grounds in Southwest Arkansas, in the vicinity of the City of Hope, Arkansas? Several years ago some I received a notice from the Corps of Engineers concerning some property in that vicinity that one of my managers has been placed in charge of. Bombs? What bombs? A trip to the property (several hundred acres of timber) showed us very quickly what the problem was. During WWII that area had indeed been used as a test site for a very wide variety of munitions, from small enough to fit in a tea spoon to some that you would have a hard time hauling in a single wheeled wheelbarrow. Before entering that property that we managed, we received a brief orientation at a Corps Field Office, being told to stay very near our guides, and what ever we did do not under any circumstances approach any white flags that we may see. We were shown an extremely wide variety of munitions that were "duds" (Yeah, don't approach the little white flags!).

It was truly amazing. Unexploded ordinance everywhere you looked. But the Corps had the solution! They were going to be generous and remove all ordinance down to a depth of (Ready?): Six (6) INCHES! We pointed out to these fine beaurecrats that one spin of a skidder wheel could dig a hole two to three feet deep. Their response? We guess you should not be cutting any timber in this area!

It did not take long before we quit that account.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
As to the subdivision in Arlington, it's a new subdivision with homes begun in 2001. It's one of those things where the locals (what few lived in the area before the new subdivisions came) knew that this was an old bombing range. However, out-of-state builder only knew that this was 162 acres of vacant land ready for building. Of course, they didn't do any research or have an appraisal.

The same situation exists north of Dallas where a WWII army training base was built on several hundred acres. The old building foundations are still there. However, the property owner can only run cattle as there are unexploded munitions on the site and the guv'mt isn't in any hurry to clean the place up. At least a potential purchaser has plenty of notice due to the old towers, etc.

Roger

Frank Bertrand

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
southern part of pa has its own problems with ordnance just a little older than WWII. Still finding Civil War stuff. Suburbs north of phila and in Jersey have uncovered Revolutionary War stuff. there are issues everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks