• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Once In A While......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Sometimes, in the middle of all of this hectic refinancing, inspections, writing reports and fielding calls from LO’s, one is blessed with a day that sets it apart from the many hum-drum days we have. Yesterday was just such a day for me.

After a full day of inspections, on Thursday, I headed out again at 8:30am on Friday for another full day. When I left the house it was +18 degrees and sunny. My first stop was at a doctor’s house that I had appraised about a year ago on the south shore of a lake 35 miles north of my home. Tired of the radio, I slipped a quiet CC into the player and cruised north. Arriving at the house, it was good to see that all of the foundation work from last year was done and the landscaping finished. At the edge of the lake, ice was sloshing in the waves. The doctor and his family were gone for the weekend. They had left the side door unlocked for me. The house was as nice as last year.

Finishing that, I headed north again to Nubs Nob ski resort for a recreational chalet. With the temperatures in the low 20’s, the snow machines were in full operation. The sun provided backlighting for the snow in the air giving a surreal appearance to the ski hill. In all of the other directions, the sky was bluebird clear. Beautiful.

Now, it was on north again to the extreme N/W corner of the tip of the Lower Peninsula and a house north of Cross Village. It turned out to be a 30 year old 2 story unpainted cement block structure built on the shore of Lake Michigan. I was reminded of a German pillbox on the beaches of Normandy. I found the key hidden under a rock by the gate, did my thing in the bitter cold inside (no heat) but still took time to admire a panoramic view of Lake Michigan and Sturgeon Bay getting ready for winter.

Next I headed east across the top of the state to Cheboygan and to a house in town that is now owned by the third generation in a row. It was obvious that this house was home to lots of people.

Then south to a small community next to a State Park on east shore of Mullett Lake and a house that I appraised last year. The homeowner greeted me like an old friend. We caught up on what was going on in our lives. She indicated that she would like me to appraise her mother’s house next door when we are not so busy. We decided to make contact in late January to set the date.

Now it was back on the road and heading north again. This time to cross the Mighty Mac Bridge and inspect a house about 15 miles into the Upper Peninsula, located on a deep river that flows into Lake Huron. Just a simple house with a little functional obsolescence but an owner who was a happy as I’ve seen anybody lately. We talked about the opening day of deer season, bow hunting and tree stands until his baby monitor went off. I measured the house and took my pictures. Then I was introduced to his pride and joy. He looked about 5 months old and had just the nicest smile on his little face for me (grandpa’s can always get a smile!). The homeowner said that this was their little surprise. After 19 years of marriage, he and his wife didn’t think they could have children and then he came along. The joy and pride were obvious. He told me they had even started a college fund for him. When it came time to collect my fee, I cut the fee by $25 and told him to put it in the college fund as my gift to his new son.

Now back on the road, heading south with the day done. Driving back over the bridge, late afternoon sun emblazoning the twin towers of the Mackinac Bridge, a large freighter downward bound passed under me in the center of bridge. Heading south on I-75, the sun began to play peek-a-boo with the wooded hills for the next 45 minutes all the way to my exit. 15 minutes later, I turned into my drive; 8 ½ hours, 246 miles of driving and a day of bluebird shies and bright sunshine, of meeting people living their lives, of seeing lakes and Great Lakes and man-made monuments.

I was tired, so very tired that after dinner, I called it quits at 8 PM and went to bed. But it was one of those special days that I think I will remember for a long time. It was good to be an appraiser in Northern Michigan on such a day.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Rich,

You're in the wrong business, you should be a writer for a travel magazine. After reading your post it makes me want to take a week off and do another bike trip across the northern tip o' the mitt.

TC

Pine Tree

Professional Status
State
Maine
You are absoulutely right! I practice in Soutern Maine and New Hampshire. I can be on a cliff over looking the ocean, in the White Mountains and on a great lake all on the same day.. this doesn't even take into account the interesting homes and the interesting people I mean.. So many seem to be artists of varies kinds or otherwise igenuious folks that have solved a problem in a surprising way.. Of course there are still the cat urine soaked 4 units, but those are a worth while trade off! thanks For reminding all of us what we have to be grateful for! Rock on! Wendy

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
8)
In my part of the world a day can begin visiting very old homes in an Urban area(I mean 150-200+ years old), to a rural area where there are more cows than people, and end with an appointment in a home on the ocean front. Our temperature is usually in the 40's to low 50's this time of year. However, we are in mid to high 60's right now. I usually send my friends in the colder climate a christmas card showing Santa with a fishing pole, his pant leges rolled up, and barefooted. My version of a "glorious day" is to have several in a rural area, light up a fine cigar, and let the smoke roll as I count the cows and my blessing. Or, spend the day near the ocean front, and listen to the pounding of the surf.

Thanks for the reminder of all that makes our profession worth while.

Don Clark, IFA

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Speaking of counting cows. I counted 27 in my pasture yesterday. Thing is I only have 26 and the extra is no baby. To top it off, since I don't have consistent ear tags (I bought these with several different colors of tags), I cannot even tell who the stranger is. None of my neighbors claim her.

What frightens me is that I am afraid prices are falling so low, someone is dumping cattle on me. I think I will get some locks for the gates.

Frosty in the Ozarks, and the leaves are falling like mad...Love that north wind...my neighor to the south just spread chicken poop on their fields.

B

Bemis Pownall

Drove 300 miles today myself
Drove east bound at 6:30am on I 70 amongst semis blinded by sunrise
Stepped in 2 land mines
Was cut off three times by drivers on cell phones
Late to one inspection and heard about it 5 times whila at inspection
Almost ran out of gas, pumped 18.5 gallons in my 18.5 gallon tank
Paid 10$ in tolls
Barely escaped 3 speed traps(luckily the fuz was busy writting ticks or I woulda been in their sites)
Had to breath the smoke of chain smokers in two small houses.
Chased by 2 snarling dogs.
15,000 miles in 6 months my car(and I) havent even been out of the state.
And thats an easy day

:icecream:

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Ter, reminds me of the story about the rancher when asked what land was worth said he swapped a 1/4 acre for a cow......when he found out the other fella couln't read or write, he slipped in another 1/4 acre.

Pine Tree

Professional Status
State
Maine
Drove 300 miles today myself
Drove east bound at 6:30am on I 70 amongst semis blinded by sunrise
Stepped in 2 land mines
Was cut off three times by drivers on cell phones
Late to one inspection and heard about it 5 times whila at inspection
Almost ran out of gas, pumped 18.5 gallons in my 18.5 gallon tank
Paid 10$ in tolls
Barely escaped 3 speed traps(luckily the fuz was busy writting ticks or I woulda been in their sites)
Had to breath the smoke of chain smokers in two small houses.
Chased by 2 snarling dogs.
15,000 miles in 6 months my car(and I) havent even been out of the state.
And thats an easy day

:icecream:

Bemis, You had the same day as my husband! What are the odds??? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks