• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

One case number, two clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Brooks

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
Is the HUD case number just tied to the subject address? Is it tied to the originator also? I did an FHA appraisal for Client A. I received a call from Client B saying things didn't work out with Client A and the borrowers are working with them now. Client B submitted an FHA appraisal request. What should my response be? Never had this situation before with an FHA appraisal.

William K

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Case number is property specific. Did you complete the appraisal for appraiser A? If so the lender needs to have the case number with appraisal transfered to them . It is the lenders responsibility not the appraisers to transfer it. Remember in an FHA appraisal HUD is an intended user.

Scott Brooks

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
I did complete the appraisal for Client A. Do I need to ask for verification that the Client B had the case number reassigned to them? Or not worry about it that is their responsibility.

William K

Professional Status
State
Illinois
You stated you completed the appraisal, I take it that you sent it to your client LENDER A. If you did this you are done . If the other lender calls you for the appraisal simply tell them to contact the other lender. When Lender B pulls the case number for the property it should inform them that it is assigned to another lender or that there is already a case number that has been assigned. They will then contact the other lender(A) to have it assigned to them. The other lender(A) is responsible by FHA rules to assign the appraisal ,and loan file if it is the same borrower, to the new lender(B). In the past I know they could charge the new lender a small fee for administrative service work done on the loan but that is not your concern. YOU DO NOT CHANGE THE NAME ON THE REPORT EVEN IF IT HAS BEEN ASSIGNED TO THEM BY A PRIOR LENDER

Scott Brooks

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
I am really confused by your last sentence now. I can't treat this a new request on my end (case number transferred to Client B) and submit a report in Client B's name?

William K

Professional Status
State
Illinois
I have to ask have you done FHA appraisals for a long time? FHA appraisals stay with the property in that once one is done it is good for 6 months. The new lender is forced to use the appraisal performed at the time the case number and appraiser is first assigned and entered in the system. This was set up to combat fraud. (Example: Lender A has appraisal done and subject property appraises for $100,000 but loan would require a value of $105,000 lender A does not do the loan, then Borrower goes to Lender B and they request case number on said property , FHA system informs lender B an appraisal and Case number are already in existance. Lender B now must use the original appraisal until it expires in 6 months from date of appraisal.) Lender B needs to contact original lender and have it transfered! There is a chance they know that lender A will charge them a fee for their time they spent on getting all the documents for the loan that the borrower may have backed out on and they are trying to get around this by ordering a new appraisal from you. Don't get caught in this! If HUD finds out you completed 2 FHA appraisals on the same property for 2 different lenders in a 6 month period of time you will be answering a bunch of questions!

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I think lender A must APPLY to FHA to transfer the case number to lender B.

Then, if lender B is an approved FHA lender, THEY will do the assigning. But William is correct. Your job was done when you sent the report to lender A.

Scott Brooks

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
Thanks for your help and explanations. That is why I ask the question. I have never been in this situation before in 12 years of FHA appraisals. So as I understand it. I am out of the loop. I completed for Lender A (Intended User is HUD). Lender B just needs to get the case number transfered from Lender A to Lender B.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Once you delivered the FHA report to lender A, your job is finished. No, you cannot do another new FHA appraisal for a different client using the same case number, and as far as I know, FHA is not going to issue a new case number on this property for at least 6 months. It's up to lender A and lender B to do whatever with this and you need to stay completely out of it.

Scott Brooks

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
I spoke to Lender B and he said the case number has been transferred. They insist they need a copy of the appraisal in their name. Sorry I am getting so confused. What is my best response? He just disagreed with what I tried to say about your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks