• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

OnLine C.E. Schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Still

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Folks,

Sitting here nursing a hip replacement from 6 weeks ago and contemplating maybe renewing my license at this late age. Been doing this appraisal thing'ie since 91 and always attended in person (yawn) C.E. classes.

I could hop on my cane and attend another 30 hours. But, been thinking about on line classes for the first time due to no business and being semi grounded anyhow.

I have been getting as much mail for C.E. schools as I have political junk mail lately. Burt Rogers has a slick brochure and a reasonable on line price ($329). Any one have any pro/con experience on this school?.

I can't seem to find any in person classes in October close to me (N. Ft Myers). McKissock has a 3 day classes late in November but its in Naples (50+ miles) I'm afraid they might cancel on the last day due to lack of applicants. And, McKissock's price for on line is higher than a hunch backs butt ($450 +/-).

I see that with on line classes you have to take tests. In class you don't. I'm not too smart or I wouldn't be an appraiser. Sitting in hard chairs for 30 hours trying to keep awake versus staring at my computer for 30 hours with my four furry footed pal at my side. Maybe he could woof the test answers for me? :mellow:

Thoughts and comments appreciated,

JS...In Paradise

Chris Colston

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Jerry,

Check the price on McKissok again. They have 2 online packages that have a huge discount if you take all in the package. Or you can sign on "a la carte" and pay for each individual class. I just registered for one of the packages for $280.00. Sure beats getting up at the crack of dawn (4 AM) to make an 8 AM start in Winter Park and not get out until after 8 PM, not to mention the gas and tolls. Call McKissok and ask for Jill, she has a really good discount promotion going right now.

Jerry Still

Professional Status
State
Florida
Chris,

Sounds ($280) good. I have attended McKissock's classes in Fort Myers (Yawn) two years ago. But, they where good at getting the approval data to Florida. They seem to be a top drawer company. I will call Jill Monday.

Thank You,

Jerry

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
State
Florida
I did a couple of AI classes on-line with no problems. You just have to take lots of little tests to make sure you are awake.

Jerry Still

Professional Status
State
Florida
Dale,

Sounds logical ("You just have to take lots of little tests to make sure you are awake). Same thing as in class...but no test. Then again, no driving and no one wakes you up when you snore.

Do you have a timed out period to respond to the test questions?

JS

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
I have been taking an FHA course online with McKissock, along with another elective 3 hour thingy. I did my required courses in classrooms. I can't sit still long enough or want to give up 3 days in a row for classroom, but prefer doing most of it that way. It costs more to do what I'm doing, but it is only money :)

I think online is harder for some reason - I guess because of the little tests and my attention span.

Jerry Still

Professional Status
State
Florida
Yep, Attention span problem here, lived with ADHD all my life, Just realized in the last few years that I have it, I don't like taking drugs so I will just do my best to live with it. My mind seems to wander in class or on line, of better money, better times, better woman, and better boats. I've spent 90% of my life's earning on booze, broads, and boats. The other 10%...I waisted. :nono:

I am taking 30 hours of sit my butt in a hotel chair classes this week end (yawn). For $350, near Sanibel Island in Ft Myers. Hotel overlooks the Caloosahatchee River. I will bring my fishing pole and a few lures just in case the instructor can be bought off . :rof:

JS In Paradise (Snook are Bighting)

Last edited:

moretti

Professional Status
State
Oregon
i signed up for 23 hour mcKissock online classes for 216....i had taken a 7 hour FHA class earlier in the year....that seemed to be the cheapest i could find....i would much rather do online classes at my pace then sit in a room somewhere with a bunch of other poor people all day long.

Jerry Still

Professional Status
State
Florida
An update...

I took the classes last week end...Not bad. Instructor (Alton Jarman) was a cool mid life dude from the Tampa or Orlando area...I thinks? A fellow boater and lover of the finer/softer things in life, like myself. He told good war stories and the classes went fast. Real glad its over though.

JS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks