• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Online Continuing Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Ellerman

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anybody does their cont. ed online and if so how they like it.
I am considering taking a hondros online course and am trying to get some feedback on pros and cons.

frozone

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
I definitely enjoy taking online classes since one can do it at their leisure and can work on them at predetermined time intervals.

Pro...
Saves you from using up a couple days sitting in a classroom especially is you have a heavy workload.

Con...
No interaction with peers and obviously no classroom discussion. Sometimes you learn the most from those " off topic" discussions.

The way I see it, If you have the time for it do your cont. ed. in a classroom. If not then take the online equivalent. Just make sure your state allows online continuing ed.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
Pros
It is cheaper as it save you transportation costs/time

You can take the class when you have the time

Cons
The quality of Hondros courses are laughable at best. I don't consider what thay provide as "education." They are only selling CE certificates at ripoff prices. They are the mortgage broker of education providers. You go there when you have no where else to turn.

The course is standard and there is no room for discussion or questions.

No chance for networking or visiting with your peers.

Summary:
I am no fan of online courses and am disheartened that the state now accepts it. It will push the level of professionalism even lower. If Hondros is the provider of such, there is little to no chance you will increase your knowledge. If you want to learn something, go to another provider in a live class. If you just want/need to get by with the minimum, do the online with Hondros.

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
I agree with Joker’s assessment. I’ve only taken one on line course through the AI for FHA. It was OK, but not the same as sitting in class, but then again I have a big mouth and ask a lot of questions.

I would take an AI on line course again, but I still prefer the class room. Hondros classes leave much to be desired in my opinion.

Thomas Fiehler

Professional Status
State
Ohio
My, some of us have our shorts in a wad! If you would look at the mission statement for Hondros it will say their purpose is to provide the necessary training to enable the individual to successfully pass the test and become a licensed appraiser. There success rate is much higher than those from other venues so I believe they are successful. Now, if you, and I, believe there are too many undereducated and more likely poorly trained appraisers out there, we can agree with that. I know that Doug has a problem because he took a basic appraisal course (geared towards residential) from a person who had never appraised a house. I am an approved instructor for Hondros but I have not taught in about 15 months. That tells me there are very few individuals taking the classes to become licensed so hopefully that, along with the current slowdown will get rid of some of the crowd.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Maybe if I had taken a course from Mr. Fiehler I would have a different opinion. However, I have never taken a for credit course from Hondros where I learned anything. On more than one occasion, I knew the subject material better than the instructor. I am sure that eventually happens to everyone but I am still a young man and I still have much to learn. It shouldn't happen to me yet.

Let me know when you teach a course, it will likely be the only way I'll give Hondros any more of my money.

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
I’ve taken some classes at Hondros and have had some good teachers, but there have been a few stinkers too. My main problem with Hondros is the large size of the classes and it seems there is more of the skippy element than what I encounter taking classes from some of the other providers. It may just be me and the classes that I’ve attended.

appraisalondemand

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
My CE is due. Recomendations??? I would rather not take online. Thanks

Thomas Fiehler

Professional Status
State
Ohio
George-Look at McKiccock's website. I believe they have some classes in the area.

Thomas Fiehler

Professional Status
State
Ohio
Donna-I agree with your point about some of the classes at Hondros being large but that was likely something a few years ago and not today. I don't know about the "skippy" element as I don't believe the class provider has anything to do about that. It is likely a personal trait either for the trainee, the supervisor or both. I know at Hondros they work with the State so some people that may be losing their job or if their union has a cross-training allowance that many of those individuals have taken the appraisal courses because it sounds like fun. I had one individual in class about 4 years ago in Columbus who was recently laid off and his class was paid for by "vouchers" (common at Hondros). This was the basic class and we had about 35 in the class. When it got time for the test I gave them about an 90 minutes instead of 60, and it was open book/open notes. The test was 50 questions and they were mostly multiple choice with possible a few true/false. The individual I mentioned completed 12 questions! Is he appraising now? Not likely but I don't know. I don't know what I or Hondros could do about his situation. I failed him and told him that was one of the easier courses he will take so do some soul-searching and see if appraising is something he really wants to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks