• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Order States: Confirm That Co & Smoke Detectors Are In Working Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Add a testing fee for inspection above and beyond the typical appraisal scope of work. Which AMC is trying to justify their fee cut off of your additional work?

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
CO detectors come with a self test button. Press it. Use an lit incense wand and put it within 6 inches. The alarm should go off.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
The Appraiser must observe the physical condition of the plumbing, heating and electrical systems. The Appraiser must operate the applicable systems and observe their performance. If the systems appear to be damaged or do not appear to function properly, the Appraiser must condition the appraisal for repair or further inspection.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
If we in Florida do actual mechanical inspections and make a determination, it becomes a licensed inspection per Florida law. Would require a separate license, even for minor things.

chad hampton

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
We are appraisers, would the market note a value difference with a home that has a smoke detector and one that doesn't? Would you make a $25 adjustment? I've never seen a listing of a residential property that indicated a price reduction due to the lack of smoke detectors.

But in today's world of scope creep, this is becoming an issue. Like the old cereal commercial - give it mikey the appraiser, he'll do anything.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
If we in Florida do actual mechanical inspections and make a determination, it becomes a licensed inspection per Florida law. Would require a separate license, even for minor things.
Unfortunately that is not correct. An inspection to the degree necessary in performing an appraisal does NOT require a seperate license in Florida. It would really help to not distort the facts when commenting.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I have 1 client that wants me to note the location of CO and smoke detectors.
I have noted there is a detector here and there, but I can't tell which.
A small pita and they ask for no test. :shrug:
How about take them all down, throw them away, and say there are none! OK, maybe not. :peace:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks