• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Out of State Experience

robble99

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Hawaii
Can you use experience from State A to apply for licensure in State B?

I understand that some states may have jurisdictional restrictions for experience as additional criteria, but is there anything from the AQB that would restrict experience earned to be in-state across all 50 states?

In my case, my experience from State A (Arizona) was as a CRA, although my license has been inactive for several years now. But no supervisor needed for my log as I have licensed myself. State B (Hawaii) is now telling me that all experience has to be in-state, according to the AQB, and that this is true in all 50 states. Although he wasn't able to show me anything in writing to confirm this. An extensive search of the state appraisal board website also showed no such restriction. I see no evidence of any state-specific jurisdictional restriction for experience. Can anyone tell me where the AQB stands on this issue?

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I got licensed with experience from 2 states, Oklahoma and Arkansas. I can think of nothing that should stop that. I would challenge the board in court if necessary. You could pay a lawyer to research it, and if there is no prohibition in the state I doubt one exists with AQB. Then the lawyer could send a demand letter to the board if the state has no rules against it.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I got my license with experience in eight states but I also had way over 6,000 hours logged.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Can you use experience from State A to apply for licensure in State B?

I understand that some states may have jurisdictional restrictions for experience as additional criteria, but is there anything from the AQB that would restrict experience earned to be in-state across all 50 states?

In my case, my experience from State A (Arizona) was as a CRA, although my license has been inactive for several years now. But no supervisor needed for my log as I have licensed myself. State B (Hawaii) is now telling me that all experience has to be in-state, according to the AQB, and that this is true in all 50 states. Although he wasn't able to show me anything in writing to confirm this. An extensive search of the state appraisal board website also showed no such restriction. I see no evidence of any state-specific jurisdictional restriction for experience. Can anyone tell me where the AQB stands on this issue?
Per your comments; your license has been inactive for several years ?? How does one "License" themselves in another State ??
Inquiring minds (on this dart board want to know) I can only play Goalie for a little bit

robble99

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Hawaii
Per your comments; your license has been inactive for several years ?? How does one "License" themselves in another State ??
Inquiring minds (on this dart board want to know) I can only play Goalie for a little bit
I am applying for licensure in the state I live now (Hawaii). And would like to use my experience from when I was a CRA in Arizona several years ago. My old license is inactive/expired so I know I need to re-apply as a new applicant. I have retaken all education classes and re-taken the exam, but would rather not start over as a trainee accumulating hours, since I already have experience. I cannot find anything written anywhere (from AQB or the state) that says that experience hours need to be from in-state. But wanted to check to see if others knew more about it or had any advice, as I would like to appeal the boards decision

gregb

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
California CG friend let his license expire. Four years later he had to apply for a new license, re-take the exam and start at the bottom with new classes and work experience with a CR he had originally worked with. He never did get his CG, as his supervisor only had a CR.

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
"I got my license with experience in eight states..."

That's quite the number of States within a 30 mile radius....

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I am applying for licensure in the state I live now (Hawaii). And would like to use my experience from when I was a CRA in Arizona several years ago. My old license is inactive/expired so I know I need to re-apply as a new applicant. I have retaken all education classes and re-taken the exam, but would rather not start over as a trainee accumulating hours, since I already have experience. I cannot find anything written anywhere (from AQB or the state) that says that experience hours need to be from in-state. But wanted to check to see if others knew more about it or had any advice, as I would like to appeal the boards decision
From what I understand, you have heard correctly. If you had kept your CR active you probably would not be having much trouble transferring your CR license to the new state

However, since you let your CR expire, you have to start over from scratch under the new/most recent rules/regs - meaning you have to start as trainee and get your hours again before sitting for CR/CG license

Sorry you're going through this and good luck. Aloha!

Overimprovement

Professional Status
State
Kentucky
I do wish the OP well in not having to start over from scratch, but at the same time, hopefully this can be a cautionary tale to us all to never let our licenses expire, even though we may think we will never use them again. $250ish a year is an extremely small price to pay for the option to do appraisal work at some point in the future. Lives change, &%*& happens, and we have too much time and $$ invested in our licenses to ever have to go through that all again.

I do think it stinks that this is one of the few professions I know where we are made to start over from scratch in a situation like this. I can see re-taking a test, maybe a few refresher courses, but that should be all, IMHO. This is the most unfriendly profession to the actual professionals I know of.

To the OP--is there any option of getting your license re-activated quicker or easier in your original state? And if so, is there reciprocity? I know you can't travel back and forth 3,000 miles, just trying to brainstorm a little...

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
"I got my license with experience in eight states..."

That's quite the number of States within a 30 mile radius....
My MAI mentor specialized in regional Social Security buildings and Walgreens properties. You have no idea how those properties sell and how they are valued. You are stalking again.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks