• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Out Of State Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devin Wallace

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Just a quick question for the USPAP guru's

I have been asked by a client to do a desk review on another appraisers work. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a question, but the appraisal was done in a state which I am not certified. I initially told them I couldn't, but they were given a list from the lender with my name as one of the "approved" review appraisers.

Any comments??

Thanks all

D.W.

Bill_FL

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Under the competency rule, you must be geographically competent in that area, regardless of licensure. I would not toucht it with a 10 foot pole.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Devin,

Nice to see you posting here. I think you remember who I am.

Anyway, send it back, theres plenty of work around here, you dont need this kind of headache.

Andy

Devin Wallace

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Thanks,

I just received the info from my client, and it's a review of a 2075?? This is nuts. Not gonna touch it.

Devin Wallace

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
And thanks Bill, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I don't see what's to review on a 2075.

Anyway, you can do a review of an out-of-state report. You have to rely on the data provided, etc by the appaiser. However, what you are looking for is basic USPAP stuff. Does the appraisal make sense? Does the appraiser miss obvious things, such as saying the subject is zoned commercial but the current residential usage is the HB use? Are the adjustments supported and look reasonable?

You have to make a declaration that you are not an expert in that market and that the appraisal is being reviewed for basic appraisal processes. That's why the RARS doesn't call for a separate estimate of value.

Roger

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Desk review of a 2075??? :huh: :rofl: :rofl:

Ohmygawd, they are really clueless. :D

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
I performed a 1004 URAR appraisal on a townhouse in Dover, Delaware, (my market area) and that appraisal was reviewed by a State of Oregon appraiser. I kicked and screemed because the reviewer made some very specific corrections/comments to my report, as to distance to comps, end units vs. interior units, etc. I contacted the Oregon Board of Appraisal Reg and they said that the State of Delaware is responsible for monitoring complaints in their state. My state board in Delaware said it was the responsibility of Oregon to monitor their licensees. So, nothing happened and reviewers are still crossing lines, all the time, as a matter of fact. Would I?? Of course not! Looks like a loop hole, if you ask me.

Oregon Doug

Professional Status
General Public
State
Oregon
Charlotte - you say "I performed a 1004 URAR appraisal on a townhouse in Dover, Delaware, (my market area) and that appraisal was reviewed by a State of Oregon appraiser. I kicked and screemed because the reviewer made some very specific corrections/comments to my report, as to distance to comps, end units vs. interior units, etc. I contacted the Oregon Board of Appraisal Reg and they said that the State of Delaware is responsible for monitoring complaints in their state. My state board in Delaware said it was the responsibility of Oregon to monitor their licensees. "

As I recall, the first issue to be resolved was to identify the reviewer as the review report was unsigned. I believe that was done.

The second issue was to ascertain the jurisdiction in which lodge a complaint. Because the property is in the state of Delaware, the appraisal activity - and by extension - the review activity was within the jurisdiction of Delaware (not Oregon). The questions then are: Is Delaware a manditory state - is the appraiser/reviewer required to be licensed in Delaware? If the answer is yes, then obviously Delaware needs to initiate the complaint and investigation regarding the reviewer's license status and geographical competance regarding the Delaware market.

It is the responsibility of the Oregon Board (ACLB) to monitor appraisal/review activities of those licensed/certified appraisers in the state of Oregon (a manditory state). The Oregon Board will investigate complaints filed against Oregon Appraisers for USPAP violations and non licensed/certified Oregon residents performing appraisals of properties in Oregon. I assume that Delaware is similar.

I don't see how an Oregon Investigator would be able to adequately investigate a complaint involving a property in Delaware - the investigator would lack the requisite geographical competance. Without that local knowledge, it would be difficult to perform an investigation regarding alledged developmental matters (SR 1) or reporting violations (SR 2).

You're right - it is a loop hole, no matter what. I don't know what the answer is (national license?) but I'll keep asking questions.

Oregon Doug

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Devin,

Do the review. Charge them enough to get licensed/certified in that state and become competent in that state. May take some time spent there for competency though. Tell them they will receive the review once you are licensed/certified and competent in the area.

Ryan :twisted:

PS Collect up front :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks