• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Outcome Of A HUD Scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprazer

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
This is just pathetic. This developer was convicted of multiple charges of fraud in one of the largest scams in the area. Involves hundreds of homeowners-one law firm alone represents 250 buyers. He falsified hundreds of loan docs submitted to HUD, so people who couldn't afford the homes could qualify. About 60% of them are in foreclosure or on the way. The homes by the way were of poor quality and sold at inflated prices to mostly minority buyers. HUD estimated the cost to them at 6 million. They estimated the developer made 20 million.

The outcome? 5 months in jail, 5 months home detention. No restitution. The government dropped the demands for payback as many docs were destroyed in the WTC disaster.

The guys attorney said "we won. We're not paying any money".

This lawyer has previously represented John Gotti and other high caliber individuals.

Willie

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Now I know. I'm in the wrong business.

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
Thats just unreal......And we wonder why the federal goverment runs at a deficeit every year......I can't help but wonder how in the HELL a judge/jury justified that kind of a settlement - I wonder how often this can be used as a precident for future lawsuits against Developers/number hitters!!!!

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
They estimated the developer made 20 million.

The outcome? 5 months in jail, 5 months home detention. No restitution.

KaChing. They won. ;) They should give him a longer sentence and take everything he's got for restitution. :twisted:

wade3333

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Georgia
AS I heard my dad say "the rich get richer and the po get chullun.

jtrotta

ya'll know why they call it HUD :question: :question:

DUH - :unsure: :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:ph34r:

Dick Hemry GAA

Sophomore Member
And i'll bet the overpriced crap properties were appraised by one of the local "lender select" approved FHA *****s. They seem to do the majority of FHA appraisals. Good ole HUD. It's a joke--a big hole to toss taxpayers money into. Bad politics! :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks