• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Oversupplied Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobia

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
South Carolina
We are having discussions in the office as to what exactly constitutes an oversupplied market. Is it a 6 month inventory? 1 year? 2 year? It seems that everyone has a differing opinion and we are unable to locate an exact answer. What do you think?

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
Cobia ... we have had this same discussion at an appraisal group to which I am the chair. The consensus was that it means different things to different appraisers, however, as a group we kind of concluded that anything over a 12 month supply represented oversupply.

The form also gives you some indications that this is true .... the way it is set up ... Oversupply, Declining Values, and Market Times of >12 months all fall together ....

Proof positive as to a conclusion? No. But some indication as to what the framers of the 1004 were thinking when they designed it.

Vegan702

Professional Status
State
Nevada
I use 6 months as my cut off point in most cases.

It's under 3 months, 3-6 months and over 6 months on the form.

FWIW also I believe NAR uses 6 months as the cutoff when they are considering markets over supplied, in balance or under supplied.

Lloyd Bonafide

Professional Status
State
California
The form also gives you some indications that this is true .... the way it is set up ... Oversupply, Declining Values, and Market Times of >12 months all fall together ....

The form actually says >6 months, not 12.

Generally I would say anything over 6 months of active listings is an oversupply. Maybe in some areas over 8 months. Some areas may have a seasonal variation.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina

Last edited:

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Traditionally, when market in balance, a sale can take up to 6 months.
When it takes longer than 6 mos ((on average)) to sell a home, the R.E. market
generally is in decline, and supply naturally goes to over 6 months of homes.
I use 6 mos as the balance point between under and over supply.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
How are you determining supply? I don't think that the # of listings versus # of annual sales is an analysis of supply. What is really needed is a true absorbtion analysis, but thats a whole 'nuther conversation I guess.

One local market has had roughly a 1 year supply of listings versus # of annual sales for the past 5 or 6 years. With minimal population growth and minimal new construction, I'd say its balanced. Has been for 5 or so years.:shrug:

Vegan702

Professional Status
State
Nevada
How are you determining supply? I don't think that the # of listings versus # of annual sales is an analysis of supply. What is really needed is a true absorbtion analysis, but thats a whole 'nuther conversation I guess.

One local market has had roughly a 1 year supply of listings versus # of annual sales for the past 5 or 6 years. With minimal population growth and minimal new construction, I'd say its balanced. Has been for 5 or so years.:shrug:

There really is no one correct answer to the question posed. In my market anything over 6 months is generally considered an over supply. We have new construction and a sky rocketing population growth. In other markets it may be more or less than the 6 months, only your research will give you the answer you seek.

The Argus

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Interesting. I think average marketing times have a lot to do with it.

What are your methods for determining supply and demand?

I know some appraisers who look at as how many sold in 12 months compared to how many are active as of the effective date. I feel this leaves the door open for wildly inaccurate results and a very unreliable idea of what the current absorption rate is.

Aren't we trying to determine how many potential buyers are in the marektplace when we estimate demand? Data from more than 6 months ago isn't too useful in making the determination of current demand IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks