• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

PAC FOR APPRAISERS Appraiser Advocacy Group What happened to that group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdennistompkins

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
Alamode started an appraisal advocacy group with an office in Washington DC. whatever happened to that group? I Haven't heard anything about that group in months, many months.

Is it disbanded? We need a good advocacy group to fight for the right of appraisers. WE have no group, no organization that stands up and gets counted to counter act all of the issues that affect appraisers. Bankers, REaltors, MOrtgage consultants, all have groups that meet with lawmakers and they gets legislation that affects how appraisal reports are ordered, processed, etc. There is no PAC (Political Action Committees) for appraisers. PAC funds for bankers, realtors, mortgage consultants all affect how we do business but we have no group that stands up for the rights of appraisers in general. The Institute has one person in Washington DC and while he helps it is way too little and not nearly enough. WE have over 100,000 appraisers in the country and no one to stand up for our rights. Why is that?

WE take the term "independent appraiser" way too litterally. WE need to band together for our own rights.

IF Congress really wants to clean up the sub prime lending problem, all they have to do is require mortgage consultants, mortgage processors, mortgage brokers and anyone who writes a mortgage loan to be LICENSED and follow the OCC (Office of the Controller of the Currency) regulation for APPRAISER INDEPENDENCE. That regulation has helped clean up the banking FDIC AND NCUA and requires independence, impartiallity and objectivity in appraisal reports and does not allow pressure or loan officers to contact or influence appraisers. If Congress did that for all mortgage consultants, there would be no sub prime problem or real estate recession.

65% of all mortgage loans are processed and or started by mortgage brokers, and many states do not even require the individual licensing of mortgage orginators, just the mortgage broker. LICENSE THEM ALL AND REQUIRE THEM TO FOLLOW THE OCC REGULATION CALLED APPRAISER INDEPENDENCE.

THAT'S WHY WE NEED A PAC ORGANIZATION FOR APPRAISERS, IN MY OPINION.

R. Dennis Tompkins
CEO
The Appraisal Academy
Midwest Valuation Group, LLC

CraigButterfield

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
See appraisalunion.org

Alamode started an appraisal advocacy group with an office in Washington DC. whatever happened to that group? I Haven't heard anything about that group in months, many months.

Is it disbanded? We need a good advocacy group to fight for the right of appraisers. WE have no group, no organization that stands up and gets counted to counter act all of the issues that affect appraisers. Bankers, REaltors, MOrtgage consultants, all have groups that meet with lawmakers and they gets legislation that affects how appraisal reports are ordered, processed, etc. There is no PAC (Political Action Committees) for appraisers. PAC funds for bankers, realtors, mortgage consultants all affect how we do business but we have no group that stands up for the rights of appraisers in general. The Institute has one person in Washington DC and while he helps it is way too little and not nearly enough. WE have over 100,000 appraisers in the country and no one to stand up for our rights. Why is that?

WE take the term "independent appraiser" way too litterally. WE need to band together for our own rights.

IF Congress really wants to clean up the sub prime lending problem, all they have to do is require mortgage consultants, mortgage processors, mortgage brokers and anyone who writes a mortgage loan to be LICENSED and follow the OCC (Office of the Controller of the Currency) regulation for APPRAISER INDEPENDENCE. That regulation has helped clean up the banking FDIC AND NCUA and requires independence, impartiallity and objectivity in appraisal reports and does not allow pressure or loan officers to contact or influence appraisers. If Congress did that for all mortgage consultants, there would be no sub prime problem or real estate recession.

65% of all mortgage loans are processed and or started by mortgage brokers, and many states do not even require the individual licensing of mortgage orginators, just the mortgage broker. LICENSE THEM ALL AND REQUIRE THEM TO FOLLOW THE OCC REGULATION CALLED APPRAISER INDEPENDENCE.

THAT'S WHY WE NEED A PAC ORGANIZATION FOR APPRAISERS, IN MY OPINION.

R. Dennis Tompkins
CEO
The Appraisal Academy
Midwest Valuation Group, LLC

We sure do need one - I couldn't agree more. Interested in joining or perhaps chairing a committee?

Craig H Butterfield Appraisalunion.org - appraiserscoalition.org

Last edited:

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
The Institute has one person in Washington DC and while he helps it is way too little and not nearly enough. WE have over 100,000 appraisers in the country and no one to stand up for our rights. Why is that?

Your two statements conflict with each other; there is representation but there is no representation.

The problem with appraisers is that that are many distinct groups with entirely different interests. You will never get all appraisers to agree on anything.

Take, for example, the subprime mess. Many appraisers don't do subprime appraisals. In fact, many appraisers don't do lending work at all; I know plenty. Why should they care about that market segment? They care about that as much as most residential appraisers do about GC's getting improperly hammered for doing a condemnation appraisal for a municipality.

The other problem with advocacy groups is they open the floodgates with membership; it is essential to their funding. At least the better appraisal orgs, especially AI, require education and some level of competency. Advocacy groups do not require that. Why would a college grad that takes their profession seriously want to be in the same organization as some kid just out of high-school with a tape measure, a clipboard, and a hangover bragging about how much money he's gonna make in the first year?

I didn't feel that way when I first entered the business, where my peers in the introductory classes basically consisted of college grads and engineers. But I do know...I took a qualifying class about 6 years ago (AQ-1) as part of my still-in-progress GC upgrade. The kids in the class acted like they were group trying out to be in the cast of Animal House. If these are the people that one is advocating for, I simply cannot be part of it.

Sorry.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
Your two statements conflict with each other; there is representation but there is no representation.

The problem with appraisers is that that are many distinct groups with entirely different interests. You will never get all appraisers to agree on anything.

Take, for example, the subprime mess. Many appraisers don't do subprime appraisals. In fact, many appraisers don't do lending work at all; I know plenty. Why should they care about that market segment? They care about that as much as most residential appraisers do about GC's getting improperly hammered for doing a condemnation appraisal for a municipality.

The other problem with advocacy groups is they open the floodgates with membership; it is essential to their funding. At least the better appraisal orgs, especially AI, require education and some level of competency. Advocacy groups do not require that. Why would a college grad that takes their profession seriously want to be in the same organization as some kid just out of high-school with a tape measure, a clipboard, and a hangover bragging about how much money he's gonna make in the first year?

I didn't feel that way when I first entered the business, where my peers in the introductory classes basically consisted of college grads and engineers. But I do know...I took a qualifying class about 6 years ago (AQ-1) as part of my still-in-progress GC upgrade. The kids in the class acted like they were group trying out to be in the cast of Animal House. If these are the people that one is advocating for, I simply cannot be part of it.

Sorry.

David,

I tend to agree with you. Also, I believe that state associations may be more effective for many appraisers. If appraisers were all of one type then a one type of advocacy group would fit all. I don't belong to any national appraisal organization. I I do belong to the NAR as well as a state appraisal coalition(NCPAC) in North carolina where I also do business. If appraisers really wanted to be represented more than they are now they would all join one of the national appraisal organizations. Otherwise, any new start up group may be just another group feathering their own nest and starting the process of playing musical chairs in the change of annual leadership in some new group.

BTW, has anyone asked Dave Biggers at Alamode about where the coalition is at now or what it is doing?

I might also mention that when you form such a group there is an element of liability in what you do, depending on what you do.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Dennis-

You may want to post that question in the ala mode section of the technical/hardware folder. Mr. Biggers has been known to get into some spirited discussions regarding ala mode! :new_smile-l:

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
O.k., so some feel we are not fighting for our rights. Others might say that no one is standing up for our rights. Uhhhh, just where does one go to read the listed Rights that we apparently have ?....and that no one is fighting for or standing up for ?

The only thing that defines what we are.....is the document that defines the way we are to perfrom our appraisal "practice". I don't think there is any other document that defines those things that we "have", nor those ways in which we are to be treated, or respected, or engaged, or compensated.

Would someone please provide a link to the Appraisers Bill of Rights.

Yes, I know, we got a raw deal.....but heck, we can't even get a unanimous agreement on the way in which price-inflating, free-money concessionary offerings for the purpose of lubricating a pending transaction are to be handled when analyzing and considering a selected comparable......as one dissects a recorded "price" to find the REAL price paid for the house+land ! All of that is locked-up somewhere in the ether of tradition, law and market reaction. We've still got a long way to go.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Organizing appraisers is like trying to herd cats!

CraigButterfield

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Your Bill of rights is attached. FIRREA Chapter 564 5-7

O.k., so some feel we are not fighting for our rights. Others might say that no one is standing up for our rights. Uhhhh, just where does one go to read the listed Rights that we apparently have ?....and that no one is fighting for or standing up for ?

The only thing that defines what we are.....is the document that defines the way we are to perfrom our appraisal "practice". I don't think there is any other document that defines those things that we "have", nor those ways in which we are to be treated, or respected, or engaged, or compensated.

Would someone please provide a link to the Appraisers Bill of Rights.

Yes, I know, we got a raw deal.....but heck, we can't even get a unanimous agreement on the way in which price-inflating, free-money concessionary offerings for the purpose of lubricating a pending transaction are to be handled when analyzing and considering a selected comparable......as one dissects a recorded "price" to find the REAL price paid for the house+land ! All of that is locked-up somewhere in the ether of tradition, law and market reaction. We've still got a long way to go.

Please see your Bill of Rights attached - FIRREA Chapter 564 5-7 Lenders relationships with appraisers

Attachments

• FIRREA-FinalRenditionNotated.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 14

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Please see your Bill of Rights attached - FIRREA Chapter 564 5-7 Lenders relationships with appraisers

I hardly think that selective presentation of FIRREA is somehow an "Appraisers Bill of Rights". It is a Federal Law that applies only to FRT's, not all appraisals. I also take issue with your selectively trying to tell me and us(appraisers) how to interpret FIRREA. I dare say I have a longer, more thorough and in depth study and understanding than ,ost appraiser and you have. I have no idea why you would want the Appraisal Institute investigated. For what? Being one of the founding organizations that created USPAP> I would think we would want to applaud them, not investigate them. I see al whole lot of advocacy for your organization, that's all.....not any so called "rights" that appraisers have. I agree with Ross. Where is the appraisers bill of rights? The only "right" we have is to do real estate appraisals, and that is no right at all, it is a licensed privilege that can be taken away if you violate USPAP, state regulations and the federal law, FIRREA.

I think you should be honest. If your intent is to promote your organization, fine. But don't try and cloud it with disparaging remarks about other organizations such as the AI.

b) Appraisal Foundation means the Appraisal Foundation established on November 30, 1987, as a not-for-profit corporation under the laws of Illinois. (
[FONT=Courier New,Courier New]The same state as where the Appraisal Institute is headquartered) (Is this a strange coincidence – is this a tax dodge for the Appraisal Institute)? This foundation was chartered 2 years before FIRREA was enacted – The Appraisal Institute must be investigated!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New,Courier New][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New,Courier New]I would be careful that you and your organization might be sued for libel by the AI in your posting such remarks on a public forum.:angry:
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks