• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Packet To Lo's

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Bodtcher

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Utah
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make a small packet to hand out to LO's. It would just be a folder, with a business card stapled to the front, inside I would have a colorful generic cover letter about how I can help their business, (fast turn around time, good quality) then there would be an appraisal request form, and a price sheet.

Can anyone else think of something to include in it, or let me know if this isn't going to help much.

Peggy Wright

Sophomore Member
Yes, I do the same thing.

Nice intro letter in left pocket. Copy of license, supers license if you are a trainee, and 3 sample reports, along with a base price sheet. I keep 3-4 in my car at all times. If I drive by an office, I stop and do an introduction. One got a coffee cake this morning.

Peggy

David Bodtcher

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Utah
Peggy,

Hi Peggy, is it possible to get an overview of what you include in your intro letter so I can get some ideas of what I should include? Also, what needs to be taken out of a sample report to make it legally useable as a sample report?

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
Originally posted by David Bodtcher@May 30 2003, 02:18 PM
what needs to be taken out of a sample report to make it legally useable as a sample report?
No one really knows! :eek: Best thing to do is ask your State Board because there seems to be no consensus on this issue.

If you ask my Board (per the staff lawyer) we don't have to black out anything! Not sure I agree with that but she says that any lenders wanting samples are under the same privacy laws so they can't disclose what is in the appraisal. Her words not mine.

But I always take out lender and clients name anyway.

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
I slide in a copy of my Certification, copy of my E&O (since they all want it), Resume, a Condo Sample, a URAR Sample, and a Multi sample and a handful of business cards when I go out shopping (been a while since I needed to!!!!)

Regarding sample reports. I change the client name to sample, and pull out the borrowers name and owners name and call them sample also.......

Patrick Egger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
with regards to samples ... if the property was a sale or refi and the deal has closed, if you are in a disclosure area, most likely the infor - owner, address, lender, etc is a matter of public record and available to most people via the recorder, assessor, etc. - however your opinion of value is not!

this brings us to the question ... for a potential client to review my package he needs to know my conclusions, etc as well as the property details.

easy solution ... my experience is that most clients don't care if you distribute the work and conclusions, simply type up a release form and have the client sign it ... most will do it the same day for you ... works for either disclosure or non-disclosure states ... I.ve went as fas as to ask the property owner to sign a release ... and they did.

as for what to include in the package ... a simple tri-fold brochure (easy to make with Microsoft Word) who, what, when, where, how etc ... printed on special brochure paper from an office supply ... fold and drop off.

clients are interested in turn times ... service, service, service ... have lots of numbers for them to contact you, info on who you are and best of all, some testimonials from other LO's, etc ... all you need until they request your services.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Another easy way to get samples is to appraise a house for the purpose of being a sample appraisal. Appraise your neighbors, yours, your parents. Just state the purpose of the appraisal and what you did. Easy no conflict sample!

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
Peggy, first of all, just driving by a mortgage company, bank or lending institution doesn't entice me to stop and drop off a marketing package.

David, do you want their business? Have you investigated them as far as credit worthiness and professionalism? We have new ones coming in to town now and then and leave within 6 months. Be careful of what you're getting in to.

Patrick, clients are interested in turn times, YES, but many are interested in number hitters.

I just wouldn't be spending a lot of time marketing those I know nothing about. Your business will grow, in time. Your performance and product are your most important marketing tools. Many sleeze companies foam at the mouth when an appraiser marches in with a marketing package. It could send a message...not a good one.

As far as including anything else in your marketing package....

Outline a short synopsis of USPAP
1) what it is
2) why predetermined values are a NO-NO
3) what can happen to you if you are a number hitter
---be gentle but factual---

If they won't give you work because of the above, you don't want them anyway. You are a professional. Portray yourself as one.

Bill_FL

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I also include several professional references.

The ones I use, I have contacted and asked them if it is ok if potential clients contact them for references. I always tell them I like to use well respected LO's as references, and they like being puffed up once in awhile like the rest of us. They have always agreed.

I think it is a very good idea to include these. Most of them will call me and tell me if someone checks in with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks