• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Paperless Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacque Proffit

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Colorado
Hi, I am just wondering how long you folks are keeping your files... and who is using a paperless office? paperless fax to your email..?

I am also hearing good news about using Lingo or Vonage type phone systems and not having to pay the $300 - $400/month for phones and fax lines..?

any opinions??? appraisers?

JP

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I use MyFax for paperless fax via a toll-free number ($10 a month) and MagicJack for low cost phone service ($20 a year for unlimited nationwide calling.)

Dan/Fla

Professional Status
State
Florida
I like paper, I print all MLS, Tax records. etc. I like this when putting a report out. I can read the paper better while I typing report. Though I do not print the actual report to paper after I am finished. I drop my work file in a Big blue box next to my desk which holds about 6 months of files in it when full I write what months are on it and stack them in my closet which right now has work-files going back to 2001--Need to shred. The thought of scanning all files when finish, appears to me too time consuming. After finishing some pain in a—report I enjoy throwing that file in box.

All completed reports I print to pdf and the system is set to copy files to large secondary hard drive in main computer and all important files and pdf to a backup external hard drive which is portable which if a Hurricane or other emergency can be carried out of harms way. No need to carry whole computer.

Yes I also have a Myfax account which I love if out of town or like some times I receive multiple contracts and only print what I need.

Office phone is and has always been my cell phone. Which I like because clients can get me even when not in office.

jtinmichigan

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I have all of my files since 1993. Hard copy. Went through them a couple of years back to clean out all but original reports/site notes for stuff over 10 years. Its alot of work, but, particularly important for the older files where you are most likely not going to be able to access them from the old software files, unless you saved the early versions of win total or whatever just for that purpose.

I too like the paper in my files, saves time when going back to a file for such things as extra comps which I save as part of the work file to show the scope of the data collected and analyzed at the time. And scanning all the notes, comps and tax records etc. at the end of an assignment is a huge waste of time.

Still, using alot less paper than I used to, maybe a case every couple of months as opposed to several cases every month like the old days.

I also like my faxes on paper, though with online ordering this is becoming less typical.

Office phone is the office phone. Only 1 or 2 of my best clients have my cell#. When I'm on the road the last thing I need is some processor calling me about some silly stip which I can't fix from my truck. The answering machine can handle those folks til I get back, thats what I pay it for.

Josh Shapiro

Professional Status
State
Florida
Ring Central Phone & Fax about $25 month. 800 number goes to my cell and fax goes to my email. I keep 50/50 paper/paperless. Field notes and stuff and final hardcopy of report are paper in file, all else is filed in databases. I have backup with 2 online / offsite plus have a dual hard drive which is on continous back up. Backup hard drives get copied every 6 months and stored in fireproof safe.

Robert Rodgers

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
New Jersey
I am partially paperless

I print everything to work on a file etc, when I am done I scan it all in and destroy the paper. Store every thing on server, make back ups to DVD store one at my fathers house and the other is available on my desk. the backups include all information for the file, the ACI files, canister files, and the final product deelivered to the client. I figure it is alot easier to find storage for a few DVD's then a bunch of boxes.

I still recieve faxes on paper though don't have alot of faith in recieving them in my email.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Ok, Robert, plus 50 posts: No such word as alot.

As to the thread, the only paper I keep is the file folder that I use in the field for inspections. All other info that is downloaded from the net is printed PDF. I'd like to go 100% paperless, but I just have a hard time giving up that file folder.

TC

Robert Rodgers

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Ok seeing that I was dogged for my english.....

I figure it is easier to find storage for a few DVD's then a bunch of boxes.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
English

Sorry, but you did get DVD's correct. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks