• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Part Time Options....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenTestin

Sophomore Member
Well, i am just finishing my 3rd week of Appraisal now. It is really hard. After reading so many posts on what the best way to find a mentor is, it occurred to me that asking for a part time job may be a great strategy.

I noticed so many people in my appraisal classes were so eager to leave there full time jobs and find a full time mentor, that they totally blew off the part time option. Ignoring the old statement....dont quit your day job!

Part time possibilities are good because....

- Get good training, and keep your income from your day/night job.

- Takes the financial pressure of finishing assignments off your shoulders. Many here have posted about the panic of doing only one assignment a week. Clearly, no one can live this way for long. But, with your regular job intact, you can treat your training more like a college class. It is a learning experience, the money comes after graduation!

- Mentors might like this, as they dont have to worry about you much during slow economic times, and you are not in there hair all the time. How about that for a pitch to a mentor.

- If you do this for the 1st year, you can then go full time if you want, and finish up your hours, as you will have the experience to complete several assignments a week.

What to you experienced pros think about this? Do you think pitching for a part time job might be better?

Helen

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
I agree. My mentor told me 'don't give up your day job' and he was right. If there is a drop in business, the new guy is the last guy to get any work, etc. It takes longer when you are part time, but it sure was nice having that pay check as a security blanket.

Never burn the bridges in front of you.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
It's hard to argue that testing the water a little before you dive in completely is a prudent move. I can see how it would take a lot of pressure off your employer/trainer, too. The only downside is that without the full time exposure, your progress will come slower.

Sooner or later your skills will progress enough that the assignments will go a little quicker. As your skill increase, your employer will have more use for you and will start wanting more of a commitment from you. Also, you'll find that the income from appraising part time will eventually offset your fulltime gig. Depending on where you're working, I reckon that once you get to the point where you can comfortably complete four assignments a week (well) that you might be ready to make the switch to full time.

If you can swing it and deliver the reports in a reasonably timely manner, going the part time route for the first few months should work out really well for everyone. The key to timely delivery is to not take on more than you can handle, especially in the beginning.

George Hatch

David Riggs

Sophomore Member
It's worked for me so far. I am working a full time job and appraising on evenings and weekends. So far I have been able to do 1-2 jobs a weeks. Right now that's all I can handle, perhaps latter more. Also it give you time to learn the software and make errors (lots :eek: ).

Sometimes I cannot do certain jobs because of timeframes. I also get a lot of bfe jobs (those that no one else wants).

oh well, earning my wings ;)

david

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
Well, I couldn't do it part time. :beer: here's to those who can.

But,

You gotta walk the walk and talk the talk to succeed.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Must have a really great flash on your camera for those night appraisals!

Mary Arlinghaus

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
ROFL about the great flash/headlights comment.

I bought the first color digital camera avail. so I could do late dusk photos and then lighten them on the 'puter.

Seriously though, I have 2 trainees who are part time. As a "one man" shop, I don't have a lot of business that's extra but they find their own and both have slightly flexible schedules.

One gal does 3 - 4 per week on late afternoons and weekends and when she's consistently doing 30 to 40 per month she'll switch which job is the part time one. I think it's a terrific idea - especially if you're a night owl <g>.

mary

dezra

Sophomore Member
I also think that's a great idea (part-time). My husband has been with our local county government for 14 years (11 of which are PERS) and I've been enjoying teaching at the college for the last five years. My husband can't wait til the day where he's licensed and making the bucks appraising, but until then we don't want to lose our foothold either. As it is, he could work evenings and weekends and I could work all afternoons, evenings and weekends. This seems ideal, and hopefully we can find a mentor who thinks so, too. We are in Oregon...does anyone know an appraiser who will give us part-time starters a chance? :yellowblack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks