• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Passed my Cert Exam this evening

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sheriff

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Six hours of brain teasers that could have gone either way (especially considering the limited study time I put in)... considering how impractical most of the questions were, I'm very happy to finally join the certified ranks.

Too bad the state boards can't be more practical with these exams. If I had my way and I was a board member, I'd make a candidate inspect and write 10 appraisal reports on pre-selected houses (training houses that the board has intimate knowledge of - and not all cookie cutters). In this respect, an appraiser has to be practical... research, writing, content, content, content. Have a grading system based on the quality of the work. It would be clear and dry what deficiencies an appraiser has... and maybe assist in cleaning up our industry wide mess.

The exam I took today sucked... because it no where near measures the amount of knowledge I've acquired in the previous three years. Who cares if I didn't memorize what Standard 3 is... that is something I can easily look up. The test should be geared to insuring I can place an appropriate and supportable value on a complex transaction without receiving ten thousand corrections. It should be narrative based. Backing into multiple choice answers is not helping our industry.

Now that my rant is over, I gotta help one of my staff appraisers get through his exam as he didn't finish his degree and the clock is quickly ticking on extended education requirements.

Any of you old salts want to take the exam I sat for today? I'm curious how the new exam would treat my peers.

Mike Phillips

Professional Status
State
Florida
Six hours of brain teasers....

The exam I took today sucked...

Any of you old salts want to take the exam I sat for today? I'm curious how the new exam would treat my peers.

Congratulations. Residential or Commercial? Really? Six hours - and it sucked - didn't test your knowledge?

Do you know if this was one of the new uniform national exams I've heard about? Was it written by the state? Geez - I hope not. When is TAF going to get it right? The exam should be written under the direction of the AQB. If the state boards want to add a supplemental exam covering state law I have no problem with that. But the last thing we need is the states writing the primary exam.

Sounds to me like the new AQB guidelines are getting some folks off dead center. Re: you last question, if it is residential, I'll take it. I'd even support a requirement that all Certified appraisers must pass the exam within 3 years. If we are going to weed out the dead wood, let's weed out ALL the dead wood.

So your staffer is going to make a run for it and try to escape the degree requirement? What does he have to complete (1) appraisal education (2) pass state exam - just 1 or both? Then he needs 2 years OJT? How does that work?

Blueprint

Professional Status
State
Oregon
It took me 6+ hours to pass the new 2007 Cert in April. I really enjoyed the exam so do not listen to me with regard to complexity. Yes, all appraisers should be able to pass this exam for sure. I support that need.
I am sure the masses would fail without seasoned study. If you know your stuff, and can put it into action, you will be fine.

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Congratulations!!! woohoo

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
TS
would have to agree on the Exam set up - Only anyone who heads off for the Exam should be required to submit (3) Appraisals; 1 Res / 1 Multi and 1 Condo on pre-selected product.
And be reviewed by 2 peers. Should they fail, a "Land Appraisal" would be added and further review. It would definitely Test the capability of the Candidate.

MP - some folk are great "Test Takers" - it does not accurately examine ones ability to be knowledgable of a consumer product and the largest purchase anyone will ever make, only a computer program and book study.

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Congrats!

Compared to the old exams...this one was not easy. It does make you actually apply knowledge rather than recite it. I like your idea tho. Kinda like a demo report.

Mike Phillips

Professional Status
State
Florida
MP - some folk are great "Test Takers" - it does not accurately examine ones ability to be knowledgable of a consumer product and the largest purchase anyone will ever make, only a computer program and book study.

Every appraisal is a test. The appraiser takes many small tests during the completion of every appraisal. The only difference is, those tests are not graded.

The old "some folk are not good test takers" argument might be valid, to some extent. There is usually some truth is both sides to every argument. Yet no profession I am aware of allows a candidate to obtain a license without a license exam. There is a reason for that - there is no alternative to exams.

Licensing (of any vocation) restricts personal freedom. No debate there I hope. Then why shouldn't anyone be able to produce appraisals for a fee? Let everyone practice, the market will sort it out, is one argument, right? The only ethical answer I know of is, the public good trumps personal freedom.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
What I've seen in some of these tests is an absolutist approach to certain questions that, under certain circumstances, can have multiple correct answers.

In some ways I think these tests favor appraisers who lack a lot of experience - they only know what the texts have told them and what little they've seen and are therefore operating off a more basic level of understanding that lends itself to a more black/white approach to the questions.

The Sheriff

Professional Status
State
Arizona
It was for cert residential. My staff appraiser is waiting to take the same exam... the waiting times seem forever though once the state finally gives you the green card to take the exam.

I actually signed up five different times, and missed three of the exams (no show) due to the workload that was coming through our doors at the time (and it cost me a $100 each time, but it also ensured my office was operational during the day when we were busy). I did not pass the first exam... missed it by four points (minimal study time due to workload - also, thought it would be a breeze considering I cake walked through my licensing exam - boy was I wrong!) Right now, we've slowed up... so it was all or nothing on passing the exam yesterday. Was lucky to get a Saturday appointment so as not to disrupt the flow of the work week. Unfortunately, like any single guy on a Friday night, I got my priorities screwed up and ended at a bar instead of in front of the books. Still passed... and had a "great" Friday night, but I really would have been kicking myself if I was a couple points short again.

ZZGAMAZZ

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Work samples in California are reviewed by OREA as an additional licensing upgrade requirement. I submitted approx 250 licensed assignments and damned if OREA didn't request 3 of the 5 most challenging assignments from the bunch. Only caveat is that documentation is required of complex assignments, although complex assignments can't be done without the involvement and signature of an AR, and it appears impossible for the state to determine the extent of the involvement of the two individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks