• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Paying it forward paid off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Financially Feasible

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
To all:

I know that a lot of times we gripe about stuff on here and a lot of talk is "doom-and-gloom"... but, over the last few days, a series of events has put a smile on this appraiser's face. Here's the lowdown (slightly edited to comply with GLB :icon_mrgreen:):

I was contacted via e-mail on Craigslist in response to an item I had for sale. After the first response, the person picked up on the fact that I was a real estate appraiser and said that they had just picked up a property through inheritance in "xxxxx, PA". Now, I know of "xxxxx, PA" well enough after having visited there several times but not enough to call myself "geographically competant". So, I went onto the AI's website, plugged in the city where the property was located, and found the only appraiser located directly in that city. With that, they were very pleased with my assistance and they were on their way. I then informed the appraiser who I referred that I had in fact referred them (as well as the fact that I was glad to pass on the order to them without asking for a dime of a "fee-split") and the appraiser was very thankful and requested one of my cards for potential future referrals.

Fast forward to today. I just received an e-mail from a MB for an appraisal order in an area where I most certainly do cover. They are an out-of-state MB. The MB asked me what I needed from them for the appraisal order (I gave them the usual, including the "please do not include an 'owners estimate of value', 'value needed', etc on the form) as well as the fact that the cost is $zzz and is CAD, no exceptions. What I then received was a perfectly good order form with everything that I needed as well as a great big thank you from the MB for my detailed e-mail response. When I asked this MB how they heard of me and my company, their response was: "an appraiser that we usually use here in "XX" found you on the AI's website and sent your contact information along".

The state that the MB's usual appraiser was located in was not PA so I know that it this did not come from the appraiser who I originally referred the other job to... but I just thought that it was highly ironic that doing something nice for one of my fellow businessmen/women paid off so quickly for me. This appraiser who referred me, likewise, did not require any of my fee for the referral.

This whole event really floored me as, for the first time, I have been directly affected by the actions of "one of the good appraisers" out there. I hope that we can all take a good lesson from this story. I know that I will.

Kevin Mc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Good for you Ed.

I have also referred a couple of appraisers for areas I don't cover (2 from the forum) and have gotten referrals in return. I ask for nothing other than the person do a good job. I have gotten feedback from the MBs and they were very happy with those they dealt with. Hats off to ya.

VolcanoLvr

Professional Status
State
Washington
I also do the same. I have the local AI chapter directory next to my desk, and will try to find an appraiser in the Subject's immediate area from it, unless I already know another trustworthy appraiser in that area.

aussie ken

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Australia
Ed thats a great little storey...........and it really is Karma..........what goes around comes around.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
What goes 'round, comes 'round. Good Deal Ed. Ditto, Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks