• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

PDF Files Now Too Large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
We've reinstalled all of our programs on a new computor and now my .pdf files for email are coming out in the 1.4 to 1.6 meg range. Before changing amchines, they were under 1 meg with most in the 750kb size range.

My problem is without DSL or other such systems, my ISP bounces some of these back to me as the files are too large for the system.

What and where are the setting to make the output for .pdf smaller?

I am running Adobe Acrobat 4.0.

Any suggestions?

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Rich'd,

I'd like to know what you've been doing as most of my pdf files tend to be mid 1.5 Meg or greater using distiller. 'Course I've usually got more than 3 comps w/photos and map ..

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I too use 4 or 5 comps plus scanned in plat map and copy of license and resume. When I was running it on the other machine, somehow along the way, I changed some settings and they got smaller.

However, the plague of getting older: I forgot.

George W Dodd

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
You might want to check the file size of the pictures and scanned images. The setting might be too high allowing very large file sizes into the report package.
Usually the appraisal software has a setting that changes the file size of photos, etc., that you should be able to adjust.
Good luck.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
I use Day One and Adobe Acrobat 5 softwares, but the procedure for both 4 and 5 were very similar. Go to your main screen for your appraisal software, click on print setup, choose Adobe Acrobat PDF writer, click on properties. Set the compression for JPEG files to be high.
I experimented with one file this AM. With JPEG set to high the file was 826KB, with JPEG set to low it was 1.942KB. I experimented with other settings in the properties, 600 DPI instead of 300 DPI, that changed the 827KB down to the 826KB. A CCIT Group 3 made a 842KB size versus a CCIT Group 4 (with the 600 DPI) a 826 size.

Take a dummy file, create the pdf file with your current settings, note the size. Then go to the print setup and make one change, create the pdf file again--look at size. Go through each one of the settings one at a time until you get the smallest file size. Experiment with several changes versus just one change. And then look at the file and print and see if you like it. By the way, changes to the setup for Adobe Distiller didn't make any difference in the size of the file. Played around with it for awhile.

The print settings for Adobe Acrobat PDF printer is just like any physical printers--you can experiment until you get what you want.

David Mullen

I use distiller and my file sizes range from about 350kb to 450 kb. That includes 6-9 photos, sketch, plat map and some other pages.

To set it, use control panel and go to your printers and faxes folder. Right click on Acrobat Distiller, select properties and then select general, printing preferences, paper quality, advanced. Under the graphic tab, you will see the available settings.

You can set it for legal or letter size and also set the resolution. Mine defaults to 1200 dpi but this is way too high to get small files.

Default on some of them is much higher that necessary and by reducing them, your file sizes will decrease drastically. I use 300-600 dpi in mine and get small file sizes.

If you aren't able to get them reduced, let us know and I will go into my program and get more definite settings that work. I just did the best I could from memory.

dbiggers

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Florida
Richard, it sounds like your compression settings in Acrobat had been optimized on the old machine, but on your new one, you've got the default settings and they're generating less-compressed images. Go and adjust the image compression in Acrobat (PDF Writer or Distiller, whichever you use).

BTW, one of the big reasons we offer the free EDI mailboxes in WinTOTAL is so you never deal with the over-one-meg bouncing problems. If you reset your EDI center to use the mailbox we give you for free, it's a problem that'll go away. Plus, if you have clients whose mailboxes are bouncing 1 meg attachments (instead of it coming from your own 1 meg limit), then use our SureReceipts service from eDomina.com. It's free and it sends the recipient just a tiny e-mail with a link from which to download the appraisal. That uses HTTP and so it bypasses the size restrictions arbitrarily placed out there by by ISP's (they can't limit the size of an HTTP download). Plus, you get the added benefit of a true receipt from the client.

Dave Biggers
CEO
a la mode, inc.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Richard,

Here's what I use on my system.

Go to Programs. Go to Adobe. Launch Distiller from there. You'll see a Settings tab. Click on it. Go to Job Options. I set my resolution to 300. Go to Compression. I set mine at Medium quality.

Large reports are 400-500KB. 3 comp specials can be as low as 300K.

Ben

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Jo Ann, Dave, Ben and everyone.

Thanks for the help. I have everything under control now.

Back to the salt-mines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks