• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

PDF: Software or On-line Subscription?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie Phillips

Freshman Member
Hello-

I've used the on-line subscription to Adobe PDF conversion ($9.99 a month or $99 a year) for other applications and wondered if any of you have used it or are you just buying the software?

The on-line subscription is for unlimited conversions, 100 page per conversion limit, and 100 MB file limit.

If anyone has used it my questions are:

Does it have the same security options as the software?
Is file size limit a problem?
Does the software offer any other capabilities that are necessary in this arena?

Thank You,

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
At $99/year, why subscribe when you can buy the software for around $150-200? No use limits, no size limits, and you can "lock" your files "for print only" to help prevent alterations to your report.

Julie Phillips

Freshman Member
Thanks for the input Mel (is that right?)

I see your point, probably for an individual it wouldn't be cost effective, but it does have some benefits as long as the file size limit doesn't get you:

- Can access it from any computer with internet access
- Any satelite workers can access it without having to purchase site license or entire software themselves
- No need to pay for upgrades down the road
- Free up some hard drive space

Of course if your internet connection is down, :evil:

What part of Georgia do you live in? I live in coming.

Thanks again, Julie

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Ah, good points Julie. You're right, I am a one man shop, so a subscription would cost me more than it's worth.

I'm up in the very N.E. corner (in the mountains), Rabun County. I work the Rabun & Habersham area, occassionally going over to White County. Also work Otto, Franklin and sometimes Highlands, NC since I am so close to the state line.

I have many relatives that live in coming. Not the same LITTLE town I remember as a kid. Seems Forsyth County is having a hard time with such rapid growth; and Dawson County is busting too. Send me your number and service area. I get calls every now and then for Lumpkin, Dawson, or Hall County. Just too far for me, I'm getting cranky about driving too much for peanuts.

Mell.
706-782-6343
[email protected]

Bill_FL

Professional Status
State
Florida
Julie

- Can access it from any computer with internet access
- Any satelite workers can access it without having to purchase site license or entire software themselves
- No need to pay for upgrades down the road
- Free up some hard drive space

With any purchased version, anyone can read it using adobe reader, free download.

Are your satelite workers contractors or employees. If they are contractors, they should be supplying themselves with the tools they need.

You have a point on the upgrades, though I have only upgradd once in 10 years.

As big as the drives are now, the size of adobe shouldnt be a problem. The real problem is how big these appraisal files are getting.

I guess I prefer the control of the purchased version. I dont like having to take my raw data online to convert it. I much prefer just to email the pdf file, rather than go online and expose my raw data, hard drive, etc.

If you do that, make sure you have a really good firewall.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I've run 5.0 for over a year and I'd much rather pay for the software than continuously pay for it every month. I own it, I have it, and can stick it on any machine I want. Also, I don't have to deal with on-line limitations from a subscription service.

Go buy the software.

Roger

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I also purchased Adobe. I've had it for 3-4 years now so it has been less expensive to purchase. Mine is version 4 and I am happy with it.....just had to reinstall it on a new computer with XP Pro, and I had to go online and download a driver thingy for the distiller, but once I did that it worked fine.

My daughter is a 3rd grade teacher at Big Creek Elementary in coming...we were just up there a few weeks ago. It has really grown!

Julie Phillips

Freshman Member
Thank you everyone for your advice.

And yes Judy, coming certainly has grown. I know where Big Creek is, I went to coming Elementary back in the day when there was only the Dairy Queen! And they have just torn it down to build the bigger one.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks