• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Pdf's And "i Can't Open It Responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I have to bounce this off some others. Seems that recently several new and first-time clients who raved about being able to get PDF files of a completed report .......are getting back to me saying THEY can NOT open them. For varied other clients the receipt and printing access of a PDF report has been absolutely flawless for over the last year. Never a peep. Lately, these other dudes are either asking me to "re-send" again (as same PDF file) or else I have to revert to sending the original report file in its ACI-format. When I do create a PDF I opt for the 128-bit encryption instead of the 40-bit version. My PC-guru guy in town said the 128-bit was a little "tougher to crack" for most.....and just may be the real reason why they tell me the file does not open. Duh, I only expect you to PRINT it ! My full expectation is that printing is all they can ever do with it.....but we know geniouses are hard at work trying to bust standard security procedures we hold so dear in "protecting" our work product. I have not changed my e-mail server. I get no messaages from the server mentioning disconnections or interruptions or failure to reach the intended recipient address. Been with same one in my city for 5 years, and not a big national chain service. My PDF writer is version not updated since Jan. '02. So, why the "I can't open it, I can't access it, I can't see the file you sent" replies ? Are others of you getting these responses from clients too ? Are we back to overnight-expressing hardcopy printings for some we work for ?

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
I have not run into this but it might be that they are using an older version of Acrobat Reader and maybe it can't read the 128 bit encryption? Thats just a guess on my part. But you might ask them to download the new version to see if that is it.

I don't worry to much about extra security because I have my original file and a printed copy to back me up. If they really want to change your file they will find a way regardless what you do. Matter of fact I could print your file and then scan it in and change it in most any decent Photo Editing software, reprint it and I doubt you could tell by looking at that I had altered it.

I feel like my best defense is good records on my end so that I show it didn't look like that when I sent it.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Jeff, .....I fully agree with your comments. I truly think it is THEIR version of "reader" which is incapable of "reading", and have suggested that, and they insist they are up-to-par. As you said, they can "scan it in" and play with it, but I just do not have the know-how, nor has it ever been demonstarted before my eyes, for what a scheming person would do to change a few numbers, or delete some whole sentences, as they think they might have the right to proceed and amend anything without our permission. What,......permission ? How stupid of me. They would not need permission, for they are the client who has a deal on the table, and the need to close it without delay. I did get the run-down from one client (big national processor) that staying with my signed and locked ACI file was more secure than any effort to do it via PDF ? Gee, thanks, if you say so. What to believe....who to believe. Oh well, keep your files secure at home, and I do retain all e-mails and phone notes and in the folder they go. It really is amazing how much paper we print and gather to assemble the standard hardcopy report file !

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Are we back to overnight-expressing hardcopy printings for some we work for ?

If you would rather wait for your report .... fine. But overnight charges are $25, plus my $25 processing fee for hard copies. ;)

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Ross,

Copy your own self on your next transmission .. then see if you're able to open your own 'sent' report using Adobe Reader. Found, in the beginning, that I'd set up the security so as not to allow anyone to open the file without the master password ..

Rene Mata

Freshman Member
How do you sent them, do you sent the original PDF file by mail.

The best way if you are sending a PDF file in the internet,
is to compressed them using Winzip or winrar.

This program got capability not only to compressed file
but also to protect them against corruption.

Cliff Salisbury

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Ohio
I have had this same problem every once in a while. It happened yesterday. The lender said only one page was not printing and was garbles on the screen. I checked the file and it opened on my end without any problem. I just sent another e-mail with the same file and it worked. This was a regular client that I send to so I can only assume that something must go wrong during transmission or at their end.

Chris von Nieda

Freshman Member
Ross,

It's possible that with security and virus protection being such a concern in many offices their firewall and/or Virus protection may be stripping the file out of the email to leave only a "text" file representing the original file. There will still be an attachment to the email but nothing close to what you sent. One way to solve that problem was mentioned already. Most "Winzip" files will pass the test. Plus by zipping the file you are reducing the file size during transfer which many IT managers and Network Admins will appreciate. What you may want to try as an experiment would be the next time someone reports they can not open your file have them forward to you your original email so that you can see if it ia still in tact after it has passed through their gauntlet.

One other idea although not a quick fix is if you have a website (or not) you can set it up so that appraisals can be down loaded from it instead of passing through an email system.

I hope this helps!

- Chris

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Chris, ..... After so many months of flawless sendings, and receivals, it seemed odd that several in a row were having problems. Over these last few days, I have sent other reports to a regular client.....and no hang-ups whatsoever. I do like your suggestion, though, and the next one who says they are having some difficulty....I will ask that they forward that same message+report file back to me, and see it again on my end. What seemed odd at all was the statement by client that "oh yeah, PDF's are good here, sure, send it that way !", then....? So, I lock/encrypted it at 128-bit....was that the problem for them ? Aside from those businesses that send predominantly text and number messages and documents, these shops are getting "attached" mega-bit files with photos all the time. Thanks again.

Dave Smith

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
My expereince with "we can't open your PDF" is they are using Version 4 and I am using Version 5 with the 128 bit encryption. When I send it with the 48 bit encryption they can open it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks