• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Peeling Paint At A Condo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda Bird

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Does one require peling paint to be "repaired" if it is on the exterior of a condominium?

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I would call HUD on this one..... but, part of ownership is control. On a condo, all you are purchasing is the paint, carpet, and air of the unit along with an undivided ownership in the whole. However, you have no control over the whole condominium project. I would not call for repair but rather comment as the homeowner cannot repaint the exterior of the condominium unit.

Roger

Amanda Bird

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
That's what I was thinking. I called HUD and they said that I needed to find out if that was on a list of things to be repaired by the HOA (and in a timely manner). If it was not, it wouldn't be eligible.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Amanda

Note the peeling paint in the report along with any other exterior repairs like rotted wood, etc. State as Roger mentioned, that the owner can not legally paint/repair the exterior of the unit and let the DEU contact the association as to the preventive maintenance schedule. Obviouly, if peeling paint exists on a condo, the DEU will begn to wonder if there are adequate reserves set aside for repairs. Your repair item is not the responsibilty of the new owner/buyer which may create a default situation for HUD in the future, if the new owner couldn't afford the repair costs...so just report it and let the DEU have at it.

Also, don't forget to mention in the report about the overall condition of the project...like is there peeling paint observable throughout the project??
Ben

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
The answer to your question is "NO". In a condo you are appraising the individual unit...not the complex and that is from the walls in.

Do as mentioned above, report the exterior condition on your report. Most condos will have some deferred exterior maintenance. It is the responsibility of the HOA and management company (if there is one) to handle exterior repairs. Most of the time those are done in cycles.

As an example, my former residence was a condo in a complex of 124 units in 12 seperate buildings. Our paint cycle was on a four year basis...meaning four buildings would be painted in one year. There was a year between cycles with no painting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks