• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

People robbing foreclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny ebinger

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
I love Detroit! Just this morning I seen two shady people stealing an a/c compressor unit from a house that I was "suppose" to appraise today. Now I know a bulk trash removal company isn't suppose to remove a new a/c compressor unit, well what looked like a new unit anyway, from a home when they're doing a trash out. I called the realtor to see if the property was suppose to be trashed out, and the realtor told me that the property was already done. :huh: well I told her the story and she just blew me off and said "that’s Detroit for you" :rof: are you joking! I know if the realtor is telling me this, than I can just imagine what the cops would have said to me. just another day appraising in the safest city in the USA. m2:

H

Hall McClenahan

I love Detroit! Just this morning I seen two shady people stealing an a/c compressor unit from a house that I was "suppose" to appraise today. Now I know a bulk trash removal company isn't suppose to remove a new a/c compressor unit, well what looked like a new unit anyway, from a home when they're doing a trash out. I called the realtor to see if the property was suppose to be trashed out, and the realtor told me that the property was already done. :huh: well I told her the story and she just blew me off and said "that’s Detroit for you" :rof: are you joking! I know if the realtor is telling me this, than I can just imagine what the cops would have said to me. just another day appraising in the safest city in the USA. m2:

Here they tear out the walls and steal the copper plumbing, wiring, and windows. They will gut a house in less than a few months. You wonder why banks dump properties at big discounts, there is your answer.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
Another reason for that thread about taking plenty of interior photos, especially for any vacant home (foreclosure or not), to prove what the house looked like on the day of inspection.

My favorite is when they want you to do a final inspection on the morning of settlement for missing appliances, etc., because the seller knows they will disappear over night in a vacant home if installed before that. It sure makes the buyer feel safe moving in I bet :)

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Make sure its a camera with a date stamp as well...I was at a house a year ago in Detroit and they were pulling a hot water tank out the new doorway in the foundation they created. They let me take pictures of them and everything, in fact they smiled in one of them. When I called the lender, I said you want me to call the cops "...no, its insured" Alright you don't care, I don't care. But I agree take pictures, lots of them, my typical assignment foreclosure or not is usually 20-25 pics.

Oh I forgot this one, Kenny I think you were still working for me at this time. The HO had taken an indoor built in pool in the basement out...home was a log cabin (Full log timber), on a lake, and they had a built in pool in the basement. They actually pulled the pool through the side of the foundation (new hole). It appears that the truck pulling out started to slide down the hill toward the lake based upon the tire tracks. It also appears that the pool fell off the truck at some point too. Really funny, and sad at the same time. Lender cancelled when they found out how much more my fee was going to be for the combination pool/log cabin combo...in Belleville.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Will someone tell me why I am moving to SE Michigan..............Oh yeah, the wife has her dream job there.

lizhorvath

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Timothy,
When is this move happening? I've seen you mention it several times in the past year... Just curious!

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Liz,

I wish I knew the answer to that question. I have been trying to sell my home here in Iowa for quite some time but talking to the residential appraisers my price range just isn't selling. There have been three sales in my price range since August in an area with about 100,000 people with the city being about 350,000 people.

My wife and kids live up there currently and I live here with the dogs and fish in what my wife calls the 3,000 SF dog house.

My wife looked at a house over a year ago that was for sale that she fell in love with in Newport, MI. At that time the house was for sale for $280,000. It just went into foreclosure and on the market last week for $200,000, so hopefully we get it sold ASAP.......time will tell.

lizhorvath

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Ahhh.... You're holding down the fort in IA trying to get rid of the house, but she's already up here.
Gotcha.
Good luck all the way around!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks