• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Permanent Foundation or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jade M. Hopkins

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Kansas
This is actually a question from a friend regarding a listing of a 1984 manufatured home, I have not inspected the property, I wanted to see if you would call this a permanent foundation:

"This is what the owner said about the foundation question:

2x4 treated lumber building a frame -
1/2" treated plywood covering frame -
Roll steel w/baked on white paint covering plywood -
Backfilled with sand & dirt, 2' most places, a little more in others -
There is a crawl space with 2 entrances -
There are "hurricane tie-downs."

I would love to hear everyones opinion regarding this.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
To qualify for Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac the installation and skirting would be required to meet local state, county and city requirements to be considered a permanent foundation.

To qualify for FHA the installation and skirting would require an inspection by a licensed engineer that it is in compliance with HUD's Permanent Foundation Guidelines for Manufactured Housing. If it does not currently meet those guidelines it could be retrofitted until it does meet them prior to insuring the loan by FHA. FHA requires the skirting to be of a durable material, concrete, concrete block, pre-treated wood, etc.

stefan olafson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Dakota
Jo Ann knows her stuff and I'd take her advice.

I'd be really interested to know if it's taxed as real estate or is it taxed seperate from the land? Hurricane tiedowns in Kansas? Maybe more aptly labeled tornado tiedowns? Do the tiedowns meet with FHA/Fannie standards?

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Tiedowns would only be required for Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac if the local state, county, city required them (they are not required in most of Arizona). FHA, however does require tiedowns/anchors but those can be part of the retrofitting.

The paper work would have to be completed prior to close of escrow for the home to be taxed in the future as real property if it hasn't been that way in the past. If currently being taxed as real property, then it is forging onward. If not, then a comment in the appraisal report about it being necessary in compliance with local laws would be necessary. Then that becomes the underwriter's problem to solve. If the underwriter doesn't solve the problem before close of escrow, the only collateral the lender will have for that loan is a vacant lot.

Jerry Bone Jr

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
This is actually a question from a friend regarding a listing of a 1984 manufatured home, I have not inspected the property, I wanted to see if you would call this a permanent foundation:
Jade, what you've described is the skirting, not the foundation.

PattyGee

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Kentucky

:new_newbie: I'd love to hear the answer to this one, myself. I was told that a perimeter footing around the mobile home should be poured first with tie-down straps anchored into the concrete; when concrete is cured, support "piers" of treated lumber (2 X 4's) 24 inches apart (or less) should be installed upon the footer in a frame work to which the underpinning
would be attached. I had not heard of the plywood being used before the underpinning is installed*.
Help is needed quickly on this matter, as the place where I'm living is being sold out fom under me!

PattyGee

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Kentucky
In addition, I heard that this can be used with singlewide Manufactured Homes to pass inspection for FHA, HUD, and VA lending

Ted Martin

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Kansas
Doesn't sound up to code or manufacturer specifications to me. The perimeter of most of the MFG homes in my market are not load bearing. The steel beam are what actually needs to be supported. The way I envision what you have described is a very elaborate skirt system. If I was appraising it I'd probably require an engineer sign off whether or not it was FHA, just to cover my back side. Building coded in some parts of the state are virtually nonexistent in reality even though they may exist on paper.

PattyGee

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Kentucky
Doesn't sound up to code or manufacturer specifications to me. The perimeter of most of the MFG homes in my market are not load bearing. The steel beam are what actually needs to be supported. The way I envision what you have described is a very elaborate skirt system. If I was appraising it I'd probably require an engineer sign off whether or not it was FHA, just to cover my back side. Building coded in some parts of the state are virtually nonexistent in reality even though they may exist on paper.

Thanks; calling up the engineer as I type. (I cannot stand to work with him, but -- w h a t e v e r.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks