• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Permits? Sow

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellieRoss

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Alabama
Had and underwriter question if an addition made 5 years ago was permitted on an 80yr old home. Is this in my SOW to back tract Permits?

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
Had and underwriter question if an addition made 5 years ago was permitted on an 80yr old home. Is this in my SOW to back tract Permits?

Only you can answer that...defining the SOW is part of appraisal development.

As far as permits go, the way I handle they depends on numerous factors, which varies with municipality and site inspection. If I suspect something is not right, I will do my due diligence to determine if something is permitted or not.

I think it is unusual for lender to be asking an appraiser for permits. Lenders typically require documentation, such as COs, as part of the loan package, and not from the appraiser either.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
You beg the question, how does the UW know that an addition was made 5 years ago?

Is there a discrepancy between what you measured and counted as GLA and the public record?

You do not have to produce the permit however, you need to comment on whether you checked to see if permits were granted or if the permit status could not be verified.

KellieRoss

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Alabama
Thank you. I appreciate the advise.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Was there a permit issued 80 years ago ? What is the population of the town in which this property exists ? Do you know who to contact and where (you) might research the presence of any such permit ?

Send an email to this underwriter (you did communicate directly with an u/w, yes ?) offering them this contact information for their inquiry about this property.....unless, of course, there are ANY reasons whereby this information should have been mentioned in your report.....and a reasonable addendum remark might now put everyone else at ease.

I would not think such a remark by you (assuming a mere few days have passed) would constitute a dramatic request by a client and where you must defiantly stand by a reply of "I'm not changing my report now" approach.

It's a permit, it exists or it didn't. Your report is a value for as-is marketability, yes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks