• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
I hope this is not to personal, and if it is that you will forgive an old man that is glad to be alive. As you may have noticed I have not been posting for the past several days. I had an experience that I would like to share for at least one good reason. Never hesitate to see a Doctor or go to the emergency room if you feel something is wrong.

I went home for lunch at noon. I had been noting a pain in my upper spinal column. I too Tylenol but the pain got increasingly worse. By the time my daughter drove me the 3 miles to the emergecy room I had lost all use of both arms and hands. I was alert, rational, but soon started to lose the ability to breath on my own. I heard a nurse/technician say that since this had started over an hour ago, if I was having a stroke they had less than an hour to assist me. To me, with 20 years in the USN Hospital Corps prior to retirement, I did not belive it was a stroke. Soon I could not feel much of anything. I thought that I was going to die. The staff quickly started an IV, shot me full of steroids, and put a mask on me that made me breath. I later was told that my heart rate had dropped to 30. I had what is described as a Vaso/Vagul incident. I have now had more test that one could imagine. 2 MRI's, a Cat Scan, a spinal tap, doppler scan of arteries, and many lab test. I did not have a stroke. I did not have a heart attack. A Neurologist, a Cardioligist, and various other medical staff have confirmed that. Most likely I had extreme pain from a pinched nerve. That severe pain affected the Vagus nerve which then affected the cardiovascular system. I am just happy to be alive. For the record, if any of you ever think you are having a stroke, stick out your tongue, smile, and raise your hnads above your head. If you can do that it is not a stroke. But, that does not mean that I am home free and clear. i am left with about a 20-30% loss of range of motion in my left arm, and about 50-60% loss of range of motion in my right arm(I am right handed). I start physical therapy next week. I can walk just fine. I can reach high enough to feed myself and type. It is hard to brush my hair, but there is so little of that it really makes little difference. My sppech was not affected at all so i can continue to teach. I can dress myself. I can think as well as ever.(Some might argue that was not all that great anyway..LOL) I will likely need some help in inspecting properties for awhile and in measuring houses. My daughter is going to help me with that. This morning it was raining. I went outside and stoo in it for awhile just to feel normal and thank God for the chance to do so. I feel like I have been given a second chance. I intend to make the most of it. I have a new perspective and a new sense of what is important....God, family, Friends, and the simple things of life. Having lost temporarily the ability to breathe on my own, I am greatful to just breathe the air. Go home tonight, hug your spouse or significant other and kids or pets, and be thankful for what you have. It is painful for now to type for too long a period of time so I may not answer e-mails right away. I have to pace myself until I can get some better use of my arms and hands. I will continue to do what I love to do, but maybe a little less for now.

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Don, I'm glad you are ok. Maybe you need to keep the townhouse at the beach and start spending some time in it!

Jan Roseberry

Professional Status
State
Ohio
Thanks for sharing. It is a timely reminder. I am glad that you will be able to do the things you enjoy!

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Wow, Don. Thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, but am very happy to hear you have made it through so far and that it wasn't a stroke or heart attack. Everyone on my father's side gets them - and I mean pretty much everyone. That is my biggest fear for the future.

Good luck with your PT. It isn't always fun, but the long term results are worth the short term pains.

Take care and enjoy everything anew. Your story reminds us all to do just that.

Michael

Professional Status
State
Virginia
Don, if I or anybody at our office can help, please let me know.

I am glad the medical staff at the hospital could figure it out. It may hurt like hell but do exactly what the PT staff tell you to do. I didn't and payed for it later. My family and I will keep you in our prayers.

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida
Don, glad to hear you are ok. What a scary, scary day that must have been!

stefan olafson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Dakota
Don, You unselfishly helped me at my time of need, if there is anything that can be done for you 'long distance', you have my phone numbers.

I'll be sure to include you in my nightly meditations and on Sunday in church!

Oly

Ms. Janet

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I hope this is not to personal, and if it is that you will forgive an old man that is glad to be alive. .

I've often said I LOVE OLD MEN!!! Wow, Don, I am really glad you're ok! :Emoticon_hug:

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
:flowers:

Wow, Don! I’m so glad that you are still with us and will be praying for your complete and speedy recovery.

icisic7

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Thank you for sharing that, Don. I would have suspected a stroke, as well. I'll be keeping you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. :Emoticon_hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks