• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Pet Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventure0us1

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Appraising townhouse for conventional refinance. Newer townhouse built in mid 2000's. Owner has 7 or 8 birds that are allowed to fly free on all three levels. Damage to the property includes chewed wood trim and bird droppings on floors and walls.

Cluttered property with loads of personal property and hard to view all floor and wall areas. Assuming the bank won't lend, wondering which check box would be appropriate? I'm not qualified to determine if or how bad of an environmental hazard is present from bird droppings and/or the extent of the damage. Just carpet, pad, sub flooring, cleaned and painted walls, trim replaced, etc.? Have an issue doing 'as is' in it's condition and I would think the marketability of the property is affected greatly. There are a few REO sales in the neighborhood that need TLC but nothing approaching this level with no way to base adjustment on a matched pair.

Any help would be appreciated.

Confident Rabbit

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Washington
I had a similar circumstance a few years ago. One bedroom was set up as an aviary; the interior door was replaced with a heavy metal screen door. The exotic birds had free run (flight?) of the house. All the carpeting had been replaced with laminate flooring for easy clean-up. I notified my client of the fowl use; they requested to note said fowl use in the appraisal and value "as is." I went with a C4 condition rating and across-the-board adjustments. YMMV

Good luck!

adventure0us1

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Thank you. Sounds very similar down to the bedroom aviary with screen door on a spring. Did yours have wood damage from chewing? Laminate flooring makes a lot more sense than carpet.

Confident Rabbit

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Washington
Did yours have wood damage from chewing?
Nothing significant that I can recall. The birds (mostly Macaws) seemed very well-mannered and sat on their perches, staring at me quietly.

Kind of reminded me of the old Hitchcock movie. :cautious:

adventure0us1

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Calm would have been nice. Birds were flying around as I measured and walked through the property. Felt like I was going to get dive bombed.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
STOP ** The owner has no problem and you are doing an appraisal JUST do the appraisal and determine a Value otherwise go to work for the government these are the type of issues destroying this profession ** We are appraisers do your job and value the property .

adventure0us1

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
It affects the value and marketability of the property but I was concerned wether it was a health and safety issue. Comps in this neighborhood and age range typically don't have this much deferred maintenance even for REO properties.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
My wifes uncle that kept monkeys in the house is sounding less odd all of a sudden.
At least the monkeys wore diapers. :leeann2:

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Birds do not urinate. Instead, they excrete uric acid as part of their droppings. Uric acid, which is the white part of a bird dropping, is corrosive to many building materials. It may also be converted into other corrosive chemicals by environmental interactions. Microbes growing in bird droppings can create additional acids that break down building material surfaces.

Bird droppings are most damaging when present in large quantities over lengthy periods of time. They should be removed and underlying materials cleaned with appropriate cleaning solutions. Bird deterrents such as stainless steel bird spikes or electric track systems should be installed to protect structures from additional accumulations of droppings.

Bird droppings are especially damaging to the following building materials:

• Concrete–droppings readily stain concrete, but more importantly, experiments have found that bird feces damage concrete, presumably by leaching into microcracks and causing the concrete to weaken and erode. Long-term accumulation of bird droppings has been implicated in damage to buildings and structures

• Bird droppings can also short out electrical equipment and damage cloth awnings. While more studies are needed to determine all the negative effects of bird droppings on various building materials, there is no upside to bird dropping accumulations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks