• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

PG &E Power Outages - Impact on Home Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Having lived in a county that lost power for a week because of a big storm, I think shutting off power will give those California communities a new perspective on returning to the bronze age, living in a pre-global warming world, and saving the planet.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Having lived in a county that lost power for a week because of a big storm, I think shutting off power will give those California communities a new perspective on returning to the bronze age, living in a pre-global warming world, and saving the planet.
And ruin the food in their freezers and refrigerators, close down schools and some business and services, not to mention all the damaged and destroyed foods and perishables at small restaurants and big and small grocery stores. Heck, they're having to close down the tunnel systems in some of the major bay areas because the lights and fans will go without power.

And paying for the damage is on them. Some perspective.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
What is the solution to red flag warnings? The new solution is to turn off the power to the transmission grid in areas that have high wind warnings.

gregb

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
Power was turned off last night at 12 in Arcata, CA with projected duration 2-5 days. Daughter got text message her college is closed today. She shopped groceries, bought two blocks of ice for her refrigerator and filled her truck gas tank. Since Oregon is only 100 miles north, she is settling in or thinking road adventure.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
SANTA ROSA, Calif. (KTVU) - With only bout 10% of Santa Rosa homes rebuilt from the 2017 Tubbs fire, the second anniversary of the fire will cause a turn for the worse in many victim's finances.

On Tuesday, many folks waiting to complete or rebuild their homes in the Tubbs Fire are getting cut off, financially.

Two years to rebuild, then the insurance money ends.

Mark K

Professional Status
State
Indiana
I'm not sure why you feel you have to mock solar PV systems (to which you get a "yuck, yuck" from another forum member.
I'm not knocking PV systems. I'm knocking the nanny-state mandates, and tangentially, anyone that believes that mandatory PV systems are a good idea for anyone other than the purveyors of same.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
Well, the first thing I'd do is go buy:
a couple of car batteries
a small solar charger setup for them that I could set out on my lawn or driveway (and not my roof)
some cheap LED strips
An RV fan

Now I have lights when it gets dark at night, and I might be able to run a small fan for one room

Add a small propane BBQ burner in a Dakota fire hole and now we can cook without burning everything down around us. Buy foodstocks that don't require refrigeration, buy water, and we're good.

BRCJR

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
Underground utilities. Stimulate the economy by employing those to do the work. It will take years upon years.......

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
SANTA ROSA, Calif. (KTVU) - With only bout 10% of Santa Rosa homes rebuilt from the 2017 Tubbs fire, the second anniversary of the fire will cause a turn for the worse in many victim's finances.

On Tuesday, many folks waiting to complete or rebuild their homes in the Tubbs Fire are getting cut off, financially.

Two years to rebuild, then the insurance money ends.
Thanks for the reminder. My brother and sister-in-laws house went up in the fire; dad's former house in Fountain Grove was one of only a handful of houses left standing in a neighborhood reminiscent of Cherry Street Lane in Mary Poppins. The year before my dad lost his rental house in the Valley Fire which also took my brothers little vacation cabin.

Everyone wants to blame PG&E for the 100 mph winds, dry brush and dead trees but no one would be willing to pay one penny more on their utility bills to fund clearing 80,000 square miles of brush and trees every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks