• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

PG &E Power Outages - Impact on Home Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Underground utilities. Stimulate the economy by employing those to do the work. It will take years upon years.......
It would take more than that. You have to realize how truly huge and rural NorCal is. And how sparsely populated it is. Where is the money going to come from?

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Thanks for the reminder. My brother and sister-in-laws house went up in the fire; dad's former house in Fountain Grove was one of only a handful of houses left standing in a neighborhood reminiscent of Cherry Street Lane in Mary Poppins. The year before my dad lost his rental house in the Valley Fire which also took my brothers little vacation cabin.

Everyone wants to blame PG&E for the 100 mph winds, dry brush and dead trees but no one would be willing to pay one penny more on their utility bills to fund clearing 80,000 square miles of brush and trees every year.
Sad about your relatives. But ... the political solution was to use the California's inverse condemnation law to make PG&E responsible for all damages and losses in fires that their equipment had a tangential connection to the cause. People and businesses are going to understand the power of Federal Bankruptcy: not everyone gets paid or 100 cents on the dollar, even fire victims.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Everyone thinks they're going to get free money but everyone still has to have 'lectricity so they will still pay in the end.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Firefighters for hire
Even before this wave of fires broke out, California was facing more blazes than in previous years. More than 4,700 fires tore through the state between January and August, according to Axios, burning more than 700,000 acres of land.

Ultrarich Californians don’t have to rely on these services, though. Instead, they can hire a private firefighting team, as the Kardashians did. Insurance companies typically offer these services for people whose properties are valued at more than $1 million, according to NBC News, making a private firefighting team inaccessible to most people. (California’s median home value is $544,900, according to Zillow, and many renters don’t qualify for this type of insurance.)

Unlike publicly funded fire stations, these private insurance-backed firefighting teams can only save certain buildings. “Our specific goal is to work with policyholder structures,” David Torgerson, the president of Wildfire Defense Systems, told NBC. “We’re only allowed to access the properties that we’re given permission to access by policyholders.”

The rich can afford their own personal firefighter force.

nstanbru

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Everyone wants to blame PG&E for the 100 mph winds, dry brush and dead trees but no one would be willing to pay one penny more on their utility bills to fund clearing 80,000 square miles of brush and trees every year.
Exactly. The cost would be spread out over thousands of bills, so most people wouldn't even notice it. But, as far as I am aware, this issue was after the fact. I've always felt the bigger issue was the clamor raised over the years which prevented agencies (government or otherwise) from being allowed to do the necessary clearings on a regular basis.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Obviously the answer is to plug in all the electric cars and let them provide all the power. Might have to put them in reverse.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
You just invented the perpetual motion machine.

I've always felt the bigger issue was the clamor raised over the years which prevented agencies (government or otherwise) from being allowed to do the necessary clearings on a regular basis.
The geniuses up in the SB Mountains moan and wail about the extra $75 or $80 on their tax bills used to fund fire fighting services throughout CA. And then they sign on with the PGE ambulance chaser class actions, while complaining about smelling chimney smoke at the wrong time of the year and fretting over the sound of helicopters, complaining about PGE crews cutting down dead trees and blocking their driveways for a few hours so they can't get junior to school.... all while threatening to move out of CA.

This is why I have such a jaundiced view of all of this.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
There are many who are questioning whether PG&E blackouts are necessary. Some say it is excessive way to reduce fire risk. Some are skeptics in the Ukiah community at the idea of losing power to protect against wildfires. Many are of the opinion that proper maintenance of forest and equipment is the solution to prevent wildfires. PG&E’s announcement of power shut off is a sign of how far the state has fallen behind in efforts to prevent catastrophic wildfires.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
You just invented the perpetual motion machine.

The geniuses up in the SB Mountains moan and wail about the extra $75 or $80 on their tax bills used to fund fire fighting services throughout CA. And then they sign on with the PGE ambulance chaser class actions, while complaining about smelling chimney smoke at the wrong time of the year and fretting over the sound of helicopters, complaining about PGE crews cutting down dead trees and blocking their driveways for a few hours so they can't get junior to school.... all while threatening to move out of CA.

This is why I have such a jaundiced view of all of this.
AOC will run nationally on this premise. She has such a grip on the reality of the economy(not remotely) ...Local bar tender ain't even on the same level of a Starbucks Barista. What does that say about our country and the BS influence of "social media"? The ultimate example of "Cult of Personality" and how dangerous it is in modern times that such a demagogue can succeed? I have 2 dogs, one less than 6 months old and he has more common sense than this moron. Did I mention the Kardashians or Honey Boo Boo?

BRCJR

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
It would take more than that. You have to realize how truly huge and rural NorCal is. And how sparsely populated it is. Where is the money going to come from?
wasn't a serious post, my sense of humor......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks